Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which carvin body is better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, May 6, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    i have been thinking of custom ordering a carvin 5 string bass.
    i cant make up my mind between the LB model and the BB model.i like the body contouring of the LB but the body seems small and the horn seems short.the BB has a long horn and bigger body but there is no contouring.i am going for lightweight,comfort and balance.which is better?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have no idea which body is more comfortable, since i haven't tried neither of them, but i'd go with the BB, since it has wider string spacing, which i find pleasing. That's just my opinion, though, alot of players like their spacing really tight.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I only have the LB75, but I don't think the weight is really that much different due to body size. But your selection of woods probably makes a greater difference.

Since you're going for lightweight, definitely go alder. It's not much to look at but it sings.

The comfort really depends on which techniques you employ. I'm not slap happy, so the LB suits my fingerstyle just fine although the superb neck it has would even be better if it was an asymmetrical neck, for me.

As for balance, given both models made of the same woods, the BB would be less prone to dive since the body has more mass and the headstocks of both models are identical.

Word up - If you don't see something you want in their catalog, they do take some special requests if they can reasonably accommodate you. For instance, I told them I'd wait longer to get a "blister" quilted maple and they took care of me.

4. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    I have an LB20 I bought new last fall. It has a soli mahogany body/neck in gloss finish and it is really light. A friend has an LB90 from the mid-80's (discontinued model) and I think it may be even lighter -- but the mahogany is $140 less. I love my Carvin, by the way.

5. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    Whhooooppps: that shoulda been "solid" and I didn't tell you that the LB90 was a solid body/neck KOA.
    J

6. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Thanks for your help guys.So do u think the LB is more prone to neck dive than the BB?

7. rickbass

I haven't played a BB, but when I take my hands off the LB, the headstock doesn't take a dive to the stage. It stays at the 45 degree angle that I like to have it at. Actually, the LB and BB headstocks are rather med-small, about the same size as Yamaha RBX's/BB's/etc and smaller than a Fender.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    REmember.. one is NT and one is BO (Neck Through and Bolt On). I had a LB20 Fretless and I loved it, just that my intonation blew so i sold it :)rolleyes: which i shouldn't have done) but anyways, each to his own. some people (like me) prefer Neck Through because of the feel, comfort and sound.. Bolt on and Neck Through each has their own sound. You got to try the basses to see which one you like better.. Its all up to you man :) If you get a carvin, plan on upgrading electronics.. then it will be a GREAT BASS!! Have fun and good luck

DM:rolleyes:

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This probably won't be overly helpful, but I had a chance to A-B a LB 4 string (koa) with a BB 4 string (walnut) for about ten minutes at a guitar show awhile back. The BB balanced much better for me.

10. rickbass

:confused: :confused: :confused: The LB and the BB are neck-throughs, last time I looked.

BTW, if you order, you might ask if they're offering Elixir strings yet at no charge. They are considering offering them as standard instead of the awful roundwounds they have been degrading their basses with.

11. I had an LB75 at one time and, like an earlier post stated, I didn't like the string spacing. I was playing in a funk band at the time and found it uncomfortable to slap with. The BB model has a wider string spacing at the bridge so if I had to do it again, I would get that model. I think you can get the LB model with the wider spacing though. I bet the BB model does have better balance with that longer horn, but I think the body style of the LB looks cooler.

Another option to consider is swamp ash, which they offer now. It's a very light wood (I think it's actually lighter then alder) that just sings. I have a couple Laklands with swamp ash and they are much lighter then what my Carvin was in alder.

12. rickbass

Bassin - That swamp ash and alder do seem comparable. I was researching woods for a custom, and the Warmoth site said that a swamp ash body for a Strat is under 5 lbs. and an alder Strat body is about 4 lbs. So, they're very comparable, according to them. We're talking mere ounces.

13. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I have an LB75WP with a BB neck. The guitar balances nicely.

Note that the BB standard neck is 1/4" wider at the 24th fret. It's also contoured so it has less wood on the treble side. Can you get a BB body with an LB neck?? Dunno.

After playing this guitar for awhile, I believe I would now opt for the standard LB neck; I don't like the extra width at the 24th fret (I'm not a slapper but the wider spacing felt good at the time I ordered it).

This is a personal thing, but I think the long horn on the BB looks weird.

Other than that, the guitar looks, plays and sounds like other guitars that cost twice as much, IMHO.

14. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    dwynsen,u have the LB with the piezos?How do they sound?Anyway,i tried a LB75 a long time ago and felt that the body is a bit small.(but the body contouring is comfy)Does anybody out there agree with me?I have seen the BB bass on their catalogue and the body looks a bit big.If only they have body contouring for the BB!Or maybe it is because Bunny Brunel didnt like it that way.

15. rickbass

I would like the body somewhat bigger, but I like large bass bodies with big butts. It isn't small to me, but the shoulders are narrower than I'd like. It is extremely comfortable. I still like the Fender countour the best. That fits like a glove but those bodies don't have the top bevel like the LB.

So many people are harping on weight these days, that I think Carvin did all they could to cut down on the weight.

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ

17. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Yes, my LB75WP (w/ BB neck) has piezo's. I sent my axe back to Carvin to have them added. You asked about the sound. I would say they (there are 5 of 'em) sound bright, even brittle, open, articulate. Cutting the treble and boosting the bass does give me more of an upright sound and tames the sizzle. A subtle blend of the P/J pups with a little piezo gives a unique sound that growls more than a Jazz. For me, using 100% piezo's is over-the-top. But slapping funkmeister's might LOVE it (I'm not much of a slapper). I prefer to blend a little piezo with my P/J's and leave my EQ flat. Also, the piezo's might be super on a fretless with flatwounds. I should mention that I'm using stainless strings -- they're VERY bright (too damned bright).

When Carvin returned my axe with the new piezo's, I noticed my G string was a little quieter than the other strings when using 100% piezo. No problem. Each string has its own piezo and each piezo has its own trim pot on the circuit board. I simply boosted the G string trim pot a little and the problem was solved. Originally, I noticed this problem after I changed strings. Maybe that caused the problem. Dunno. Hope this helps.

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't know how does a LB75 feel, but after years of struggling with a narrow necked Washburn, the wider BB75 is really good to me. Popping the D string on a narrow string spacing is a nightmare. Besides, the BB75 body is very cool. I really like this longer strap horn. :)

19. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    thanks for all ur help guys!I'm glad to know that there are people happy with their carvins! Any unhappy stories?

20. rickbass

JUst the pickups/preamp. They're not "bad" but it's like they did half the job - superb bass as far as it's bones but why not include some top notch pickups/onboards? I guess they're like the Warwicks with MEC's - great build but with pedestrian electrical components that get the job done but don't get you excited, IMO.