Which cheap bass gives a nice precision sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Jun 19, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a not to expensive precision bass which will really give that nice vintage precision sound. I play fingerstyle. I've heard that a second handed tokai hard puncher from the 80s might be a good option?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The SX p bass copy sounds great. :smug:
  3. It doesn't have to be that cheap. It looks like everyone works here for SX ;)
    Is there any sound demo of the SX P bass copy?
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The SX's are really that good though...um, I've got a jazz...and you may find some clips in the megathread...but have fun searchin.

Or you could buy the P and swap out the pickups and still spend less than you woul,d for a Mexican P. That has to be good...
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Tokais are supposed to be pretty dang awesome, if you can find them. An SX is definitely going to cost you less, though.
  6. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hey are the SX Jazz bass's any good, becuase I love the lake placid blue one, so if its a good quality bass Im gonna buy it and use it as my "beater" or whatever. And later on get a better Fender model.

The only thing is I can afford a used Fender Deluxe Active vintage white, tort pg, and Im guessing thats a really good bass too, but I wouldn't like to go and beat the crap out of it you know?
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The SX Jazz my friend has gives a great vintage tone. They usually need a part or 2 to make them really sing. But even then, you're way under what you'd pay anywhere else.

I plan to buy a 4 string, vintage P from Rondo at some point.

8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Check the megathread. To sum it up in one short word: Yes.
  9. mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    The stock SX pickups are kinda weak and lifeless. I replaced the PU in my SX P-bass with a Duncan 1/4 pounder, and it made a world of difference. This bass now growls as it should.

The high quality of the wood and craftsmanship are worth the asking price.
  10. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I don't think it is a P "copy," but you can find a used G&L SB-1 on ebay from time to time. I had a 1982 MIA Fender Precision, and I still have a 1989 SB-1. The G&L is outstanding!
  11. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I've played a lot of p copies that are as good or better than Fender P's. Sx are great, as are some of the older Japanese knock-offs such as Tokai, Hondo, and the older Airas.
  12. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    if u could find farida pbass try it.
  13. My cheapo Yamaha RBX170 does a reasonable job of copping the p-bass sound when only the front pickup is dialed in.

I have d'add xl-170's on it right now for a little extra "zing", but for that truely vintage sound, I'm sure a set of flats would pretty much nail that vintage p-bass tone.

Also, don't overlook the huge impact your fingers can do to the sound. Look at Rocco Prestia, he doesn't sound anything like the dude from midnight oil, but they both play P's.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 Or strings. Flats and P basses where made for each other.