1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Chinese maker..."scallops" cut into top?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by LyleRyan, Nov 21, 2006.

1. LyleRyan

LyleRyan

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I've been looking at basses in SF and LA, and am coming across a lot of instruments that must come out of the same Chinese factory.

They all have "scallops" cut into the top, semi-circles about 3" in diameter up where the top joins the neck. Every shop is putting their own label on these basses. But with this "signature", I'm guessing they all come from the same maker. Any ideas?

Thanks....Lyle

2. Congrats on your first post.

I'm guessing some pictures, links and names of folks carrying these basses would be helpful.

Peace,
    S

3. I just picked up a 3/4 Menzel of Chinese origin and it has exactly what you describe. I did a bit of a double take when I noticed it and still can't figure it out. Whatever .... the bass plays. Aesthetically (sp) it's a plywood, after all. I agree though, they're gotta be coming out of the same factory and are branded accordingly.

4. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Can anyone post a pic of this? Still trying to figure out what you mean by scallops cut out.

5. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    I've seen basses like that. There's a shop in the Bay Area that has some: http://www.agmusic.com/bass.html

You might ask them who makes them. (Of course, these might be the same basses you saw...)

6. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    These basses are made in China by a maker named Chen.
    The trouble with the name Chen is that almost every Chinese maker and dealer I know is named Chen. That name must be like Smith in China. I've mentioned his full(?) name before but I dont know how to spell it; something like Chen Xiao. However, I have met the man and bought and sold many of his intruments. I like that little half circle, as you call it, and wish I'd thought of it first.

By the by, they don't know the difference between a bass and a bassball bat, but they are making some good stuff.

7. LyleRyan

LyleRyan

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    Here's a photo (if I've figured out attachemnts correctly).

....Lyle

Attached Files:

8. Congratulations on being a new Daddy Erik!!!
    Erik is a fine jazz bassist and writer. As a matter of fact, he wrote a fine article about yours truly in the Oct. Bass Player Magazine. Made me look much better than I deserved.:hyper: