1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Circle-K for A-D-G-C-F if I have 35"??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sauron_, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi!!

I have a Jackson JS3V bass tuned to ADGCF, and I'm planning on give a try to the Circle-K stuff.

I just have one question before pulling the trigger, which set would you choose thinking that is a 35" scale bass?

I want a balanced set, but 43-142 or 50-150??

I play some fast metal stuff and I need lowest action as possible.

Thank you very much!!!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Neither. The .150 set will only give you 32 pounds of tension and will be flopping around like a rubber band.

I'd get the .166 set minimum. That will give you around 41 pounds of tension which is about the same as a regular set tuned normally so it will feel right and give you low action.

But for any of these, plan on a new nut and a major setup.

3. .166 would definitely be a nice, punchy A for playing fast. I use one as an Ab and it sounds wonderful for how I play.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I use the .166 set for my low A, and it's awesome. Sits at 48.71 lbs on the 35" scale (like my Schecter) and it's flexible enough to feel comfortable without being floppy. I wouldn't recommend going any higher than that unless you planned to detune
    often.

Also, I've attached a spreadsheet that I made from Circle K's tension data. It's identical to their tension guide PDF, but allows you to change scale length to see exactly what the tension looks like at something other than the 34" scale.

Attached Files:

5. Thank you for your thoughts!!!

FunkMetal that's a great document!!!!!