1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which coated bass strings to replace Lo Riders?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Feb 14, 2019.

1. I've been playing stainless steel Lo Riders for many years, cause I like the tone and feel of them. I like the idea of coated strings that will last longer, so I want to try some.

From your experience, which coated (or otherwise modified to last longer) strings will come close to the feel/tone of Lo Riders? Are the Warwick EMPs worth looking at? Since these strings are pretty expensive, I don't really want to buy and try too many of them before I find the right ones.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Closest to a DR lo rider would be DR Bootzillas. Coated stainless steel with hex core.

Other DR coated strings are round core with the exception of the 50-110T Black Beauty set which is hex.

Warwick EMP and Cleartone EMP are great strings. The Warwick offer more size and material variety. These strings complete a ground so there is no ground hum introduced as that can be an issue on some instruments.

Daddario EXP nickels. Another great string that completes a ground. Still very bright.

Elixir coated, doesnt complete a ground. Available in nickel and stainless options. The was the go to for a while as far as coated strings go.

GHS, Ernie Ball, Aurora also have coated strings. Again dont complete grounds. Still good strings and worth mentioning.

Nick Danger and Taustin Powers like this.
  3. Do they still make Bootzillas? Thomann does not seem to carry them.

They have the Dragon Skin strings, which are round core. Does round vs hex make a big difference? I really have not experimented with strings in so long, I am pretty ignorant.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    why don't you get the Bootzillas through that guy who was first to answer your post?

Yeah, most likely the international shipping cost from the States to Europe wouldn't be as cheap as if you get them from Thomann, but at least you can get those (specialty) strings which aren't available locally. I know I did and probably will continue to do so, and I'm located directly across the globe from where he's located.

5. I'll try what I can buy locally first.

6. My string of choice.