1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Coated String Brand Lasted Longest For You?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Mar 30, 2006.

1. I've trid d'addario exp an elixir. Of the two, I remeber elixir lasting longer.

what about in your experience out of all of the many brands out there today coating strings?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    DR's stay zingier longer, hey is that a word? :) But you can feel them over time darkening. The color does wear off making them not always look great if that's important to you. Not as slick as Elixirs, but less grab than regular strings.

Elixirs stay the way they start for what seems like ever. They are darker to start but stay that way. As they get old they de-laminate and feather out, again it's only looks. Good or bad they are slicker feel, some like it some don't.

Hey life's short, try them all until you're happy, then you'll try another. Allthough I think I'm staying with the DR's for my needs.
    Plus the cool new colors. :)
    Dirk

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Interesting thread. I've only tried the Nanowebs, but I like 'em so much I'm not really curious about the others ... well, except for the different color options! :p

4. anyone else?

5. I've only tried Elixir nanowebs, so I have nothing to compare them with.

On the other hand, the set that came stock on my fretless Ibanez is just about due for a change, and they'll be 3 years old in May. I also have a light touch.

Mike

6. bump.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Can't comment on a comparison...of coated I've only used Elixir Poly...they are on both my 2 main basses...so obviously I like them alot.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've had nanowebs, and the DR Black Beauties, and DR Red Devils.

Nanowebs definitely last longer. Difference is that the Red Devils and the Black Beauties still can get crud in the windings of the strings, whereas the Nanowebs have a coating that runs the length of the string, which is why they feather out.