Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which color do you like the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 13, 2004.

which color

Poll closed Jan 27, 2004.
  1. black pearl

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. silver pearl

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. none of the above (please make suggestion)

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I am getting really sick of constantly wiping dowm my bass trying to get every smudge off of it, so I am going to build a pickguard for it, so it's not just one glossy black wasteland.

I have made a template (pictured), but I can't decide which color to go with for the pickguard

By the way, there will be a cut out for the neck and pickups on the actual guard, I just didn't need them for the edge routing for the template.

How about some help?
    [​IMG]

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here is the black pearl, on a black background

[​IMG]

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    silver pearl

[​IMG]

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Personally, with a black bass, I would go with something a little different- either green pearl or blue pearl. Blue pearl on black would look pretty sharp. (Blank stock of both of these colors is available through Warmoth.)

But, of the two, I would go with black pearl.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I think the blue pearl is a little too "sky blue" for my tastes, but the silver blue pearl has some potential.

Is this any better?

[​IMG]

6. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I agree with the above person... if you are just going to have black with a pickguard, another color other than black or silver would look great. My friend had a custom pickguard made for his black Sadowsky, and it looked awesome. It was the orangy-bronze color on the bongo basses, but pearloid. It took him forever to get it, and it was fairly expensive for a pickguard, so im not saying thats the route you should go. I think a green or blue, or maybe even a brighter color would look pretty smooth on a black beauty like that.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Ok, Green pearl

[​IMG]

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Originally I had left off tort because I didn't want a celluloid guard, and I thought the stewmac material was too small for such a large guard. After some careful measurements, I have found the stewmac tort will BARELY fit onto my template.

So, for your viewing pleasure, I give you tort.

[​IMG]

9. Silver Pearl......gets my vote.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    I like the tortoise, personally. Silver blue pearl is pretty cool, too.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    tort

12. go for the red tort man!

13. silver perl for a little extra contrast.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Green! It's the new black!

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Tortoise shell on a black bass is nice. Black pearl would also look nice, but I think silver pearl might be a bit gaudy.

16. Tortoise or Black Pearl!!

17. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    What kind of bass is that? I vote for the silver pearl. I am interested in making a pickgaurd is there a resource you use in the design and construction? Please keep us updated.

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Another vote for tort.

19. nothing says vintage like tort. I gotta go with that.

20. Go with the mirrored chrome...when those stage lights reflect off it and blind the first 5 rows of people, you'll thank me. You'd be wiping it down in between verses though.