Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which combo for my Bday?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Hey, I have a wish-list of bass combo amps I want for my bday. I was wondering which one I shoulod fully ask my parents for. Here's what I got.

Gallien-Krueger 115 combo - 125W - $379.99

Ampeg BA-115 combo - 100W - $449.00

SWR LA15 combo - 100W - $299.99

Fender Rumble 100 combo - 100W - $299.99

Fender Bassman 100 combo - 100W - $329.99

As y'all can see the prices are between $300-$500

If y'all have any other suggestions please let me know.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Don't do a combo. Get a $200 - $ 300 cab from www.avatarspeakers.com and a good, used 300+ watt head off of Ebay for $200-$300. You will be MUCH happier in the long run! More watts, better portabilty, more options in the future (I you want to upgrade one, you don't have to upgrade the other), etc, etc, etc... Plus, it will BLOW the doors off of any of the combos you listed! Your welcome in advance (you will be thanking me later for talking you out of this).

BTW, Avatar will also sell you a Ashdown MAG300 head (307 watts) for $278 free shipping if you buy it at the same time as a cab. Not a bad deal! You can still look at used too on Ebay...

3. my father does not want me to get a cab and head. He says I don't need one since Im not in a band. So I have to deal with a combo :crying: .

Even though I do havea laney cab my uncle gave me a long time ago. So all he would have to pay for is the head. but he still said no.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Please no offense intended, but your dad needs some anti-stupid pills. That's like saying you can get a Kia or a Lexus for the same money and you pick the Kia :confused: It's just plain dumb. Well if you really can't change his mind (which is crazy, tell him to call me, I'll talk him into it!!), I'd pick the Ampeg for sure...

5. I'm still ganna talk to my dad about getting a head instead of a combo. [pray that he'll listen

6. the ashdown/avatar is a good suggetion. But if it has to be a plug and play combo, you can do way better than those for the money.

Eden Nemises 210 combo. Cool looking, portable, earthshaking bass and warm tone. If you look hard enough, you can get a new one for $500. Many on TB might disagree with me, however. But I know emperically that it can be had for 500 clams from an authorized dealer.

Next choice is genz benz

next is yorkville combos.

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I suggest an Ampeg B100R if you're into the old-school sound.

A Genz Benz combo would also serve you well.

Good luck.

8. Roland DB500.

Just bought one, totally awsome, however from your list, the Gallien-Krueger Backline 115 is a good amp too, I had the smaller 112, and for a small 100w amp it was loud, compact, and built to last. The range of tones was fantastic. I can only asume the 115 would be even better.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    EXACTLY... that's just not spending your money wisely. The cheapest of the Avatar cabs is the SB112..... $220. With the Ashdown MAG, your under $500 probably.

If you ever end up in a band, your combo will become an ear monitor. Then you'll have to spend MORE money. Tell THAT to your Dad.

I'd get the SB112 in 4ohms with the MAG. 300Watts into a 112... nice and simple.

ALSO.... if you take a look on a retailer website (www.zzsounds.com) you'll probably find an Ashdown combo amp that would give you 160Watts for $500. If you were in a band in the future, you could buy an extension cab and get the full 300Watts.

... just another option. Good luck :bassist:

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 for the DB 500
    I also have one and it is awesome.

Or mabye the cube 100. Thats a pretty cool lookin combo.

danman

11. You might think about getting a combo with a full featured "head" built in that in the future you could just remove and use with other cabs. The Ashdown MAG 300 combos or even a Gallien Krueger 400 rbiii type combo.

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    SWR Workingmans 10. I used one of these for a long time for practicing, nice little combo for the price.

13. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    yorkville xm200t (2x10) or xm200 (1x15)
    very cheap, awesome sound.
    i dont see myself playing anything apart from yorkville for a very long time.

14. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Get a used combo? you'll save money.
    Don't get a newer SWR, they stink. Pre Fender is ok, but anything after is a POS in my opinion.