Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which combo to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Up until now I haven't had to supply my own amp to play a gig, so my 15 watt practice amp has worked just fine at home. Now I'm going to be playing at church youth services and want to get something that will be versatile and reliable. I've not done any shopping whatsoever so I'm a complete newb to amp lingo. I want to be able to get any tone from aggressive to that soft "jazz" sound. I'm also wanting to spend less than $400 but I need enough juice to sound good in a gym (if that's possible). Any thoughts?

:bag: :help:

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I would suggest going to a music store and trying out amps made by these manufacturers:
    Ampeg
    Gallien Krueger
    SWR
    There are things you need to use your own ear to decide. One that jumps out is what size speaker sounds good to you. Smaller ones (10 inch and 12 inch ones) will sound clearer than 15 inch ones, but will have less "oomph" (visceral low end).
    I have an Ampeg 100R, which I love, but you may find that it doesn't sound modern enough for you. (For example, when you say "that 'soft' jazz sound", I'm not sure whether you mean the very clean, modern "smooth jazz" sound or more of a traditional, fat sound, like something Ray Brown would like out coming out of a bass amp. 10s might be better for the former sound, and 15s -- or, more realistically for a combo, a single 15 -- might be better for the latter.)
    Look into the Ampeg 100R, as well as the newer Ampeg models, and the SWR "LA" series, and the Gallien Krueger "Backline" series.
    Fender has a relatively new line of combos out, but not many players have liked the way Fender bass amps have sounded, for... well... decades. (Odd, isn't it?)
    There are other makers like Crate, Peavey and Carvin (Carvin only sells directly, though); but I personally like the three I mentioned above. Again, use your own ears.
    As far as being loud enough in a gym... well, often the way to handle the boomy acoustics in a place like a gym is to keep your volume at a very reasonable level anyway. So, assuming you have some kind of PA to run through, you should be okay.
    Anyone else?

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    regulation size gym? sound good? up close yes, more than 10feet away no unless you can get several (2 or more) 15" cabs.

for that kind of money do not expect to fill anymore than a home basement.

also check out Yorkville, I heard an older 400b (black and blue) with a 15" speaker .... sweet!