Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalimus-thaden, May 29, 2004.

1. After doing many searches and much research I am still undecided on which combo to buy for my newly purchased Tacoma cb-10e4. I want to spend less than $1000 on a decent combo. I currently have an ampeg ba-115 and I have to max out the settings to get any type of volume at all. I play in a bluegrass band and I have had to go through the PA the last 2 gigs because my amp isn't cutting it. I have been considering the SWR Cal. Blonde, but I am just not sure. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations.

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Peavet Bam 210 Combo. :hyper:

An incredible amp in my opinion. Can be had used for $700.00 - 800.00.

Powerful, musical, with many built in effects and an excellent compressor.

375 watts @ 4 ohm
    500 watts @ 2 ohm

Incredibly deep sounding cabinet for a 2x10. Modern to old school tone in a heartbeat.

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Used Eden Metro? SWR Redhead? Either one would be a fantastic choice.

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    SWR Workingman 15 (pre Fender if possible) used should be around $500 on ebay :)

5. I heard an SWR Redhead an orchestra was using for one song. It seemed to hiss a fair amount at high volume. Is that normal for a high end combo?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout. Case closed.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You say "combo" can mean anything to a 1x10" to a 4x10" weighing anywhere from 30 to 120 lbs. I assume you want the most portable rig that will give you most volume with good tone and falls within your budget. Although not a "combo", the best thing I can recommend would be a Acoustic Image Clarus head and a Euphonic Audio 1x12" Wizzy cabinet. The head only weighs 5 lbs and will run you $579. The cab weighs 29 lbs and will run $350 to $400. The amp will put out 200 watts into this cab and the tone and volume are both very impressive. Definitely a step above the SWR, Eden, Mesa, etc. stuff.

8. My 2 cents is for a used Eden Metro...there are a couple in the For Sale forum

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    A bluegrass band? Doesn't everyone go through the PA anyway?

10. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout Combo! Awesome!

11. Thanks for all the responses.

I called Bob Gollihur and asked him about the Phil Jones Briefcase and the Acoustic Image Contra. He recommended the Contra. But I question whether it will be loud enough.

I also read a recommendation for the ashdown evo c110-300. Anyone played through one?

byrdsfan: "A bluegrass band? Doesn't everyone go through the PA anyway?"

Yes the rest of the band does go through the PA, but our PA is a pretty cheap, 8 input 2 speaker rig and I don't like the sound I get playing through it. Thus the search for a nice amp or I guess I could buy the band a nice PA system (not).

12. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Gotcha.
    I've seen a lot of of bluegrass bands, but never one with a 3000 watt amp! or does eden make smaller ones. Ive only read about them here.

13. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
  14. Where can I find a walkabout scout for that price? I have searched the internet, but I have not found a site to buy it from at that low of a price.

Right now its looking like either a mesa boogie walkabout scout or the clarus with the wizzy cab. If I can find a scout at $1099 I will probably get that.

But if I get some good reviews about the ashdown evo c110-300 I can get one of these used for $600.

15. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I sell them for $1099, I work at a music store and we are a licensed Mesa Boogie Dealer. I am currently out but I can order one with full down payment and have it in 4-6 weeks.

Call me tomorrow
    Toll Free 1-888-811-8338
    At Rock City Music

Thanks
    Charlie

16. I may contact you within the next week if I decide to go with the walkabout scout. However, I am still considering the clarus w/ the wizzy cab. Just can't decide between the 2. I've read good things about both, but since there is not a music store within a couple of hours of my house that carries these items there is no way I can hear for myself.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You don't need to hear the Walkabout Scout. :) Buy it. I swear dude, it's all you're going to need. Mesa power and sound in a portable package. It's a dream.

18. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Ok sounds good I'll look forward to hearing from you in the next couple of weeks if you decide to go with it. I have to agree with the last post you can't go wrong with Mesa Boogie. Let me know if there is any questions I might be able to answer.

Thanks