Which Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalimus-thaden, May 29, 2004.

1. After doing many searches and much research I am still undecided on which combo to buy for my newly purchased Tacoma cb-10e4. I want to spend less than $1000 on a decent combo. I currently have an ampeg ba-115 and I have to max out the settings to get any type of volume at all. I play in a bluegrass band and I have had to go through the PA the last 2 gigs because my amp isn't cutting it. I have been considering the SWR Cal. Blonde, but I am just not sure. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations.
  2. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Peavet Bam 210 Combo. :hyper:

An incredible amp in my opinion. Can be had used for $700.00 - 800.00.

Powerful, musical, with many built in effects and an excellent compressor.

375 watts @ 4 ohm
    500 watts @ 2 ohm

Incredibly deep sounding cabinet for a 2x10. Modern to old school tone in a heartbeat.
  3. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Used Eden Metro? SWR Redhead? Either one would be a fantastic choice.
  4. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    SWR Workingman 15 (pre Fender if possible) used should be around $500 on ebay :)
  5. I heard an SWR Redhead an orchestra was using for one song. It seemed to hiss a fair amount at high volume. Is that normal for a high end combo?
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout. Case closed.
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You say "combo" can mean anything to a 1x10" to a 4x10" weighing anywhere from 30 to 120 lbs. I assume you want the most portable rig that will give you most volume with good tone and falls within your budget. Although not a "combo", the best thing I can recommend would be a Acoustic Image Clarus head and a Euphonic Audio 1x12" Wizzy cabinet. The head only weighs 5 lbs and will run you $579. The cab weighs 29 lbs and will run $350 to $400. The amp will put out 200 watts into this cab and the tone and volume are both very impressive. Definitely a step above the SWR, Eden, Mesa, etc. stuff.
  8. My 2 cents is for a used Eden Metro...there are a couple in the For Sale forum
  9. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    A bluegrass band? Doesn't everyone go through the PA anyway?
  10. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout Combo! Awesome!
  11. Thanks for all the responses.

I called Bob Gollihur and asked him about the Phil Jones Briefcase and the Acoustic Image Contra. He recommended the Contra. But I question whether it will be loud enough.

I also read a recommendation for the ashdown evo c110-300. Anyone played through one?

byrdsfan: "A bluegrass band? Doesn't everyone go through the PA anyway?"

Yes the rest of the band does go through the PA, but our PA is a pretty cheap, 8 input 2 speaker rig and I don't like the sound I get playing through it. Thus the search for a nice amp or I guess I could buy the band a nice PA system (not).
  12. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I've seen a lot of of bluegrass bands, but never one with a 3000 watt amp! or does eden make smaller ones. Ive only read about them here.
  13. Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
  14. Where can I find a walkabout scout for that price? I have searched the internet, but I have not found a site to buy it from at that low of a price.

Right now its looking like either a mesa boogie walkabout scout or the clarus with the wizzy cab. If I can find a scout at $1099 I will probably get that.

But if I get some good reviews about the ashdown evo c110-300 I can get one of these used for $600.
  15. Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I sell them for $1099, I work at a music store and we are a licensed Mesa Boogie Dealer. I am currently out but I can order one with full down payment and have it in 4-6 weeks.

Call me tomorrow
    Toll Free 1-888-811-8338
    At Rock City Music

16. I may contact you within the next week if I decide to go with the walkabout scout. However, I am still considering the clarus w/ the wizzy cab. Just can't decide between the 2. I've read good things about both, but since there is not a music store within a couple of hours of my house that carries these items there is no way I can hear for myself.
  17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You don't need to hear the Walkabout Scout. :) Buy it. I swear dude, it's all you're going to need. Mesa power and sound in a portable package. It's a dream.
  18. Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Ok sounds good I'll look forward to hearing from you in the next couple of weeks if you decide to go with it. I have to agree with the last post you can't go wrong with Mesa Boogie. Let me know if there is any questions I might be able to answer.