Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Comes First...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ...The amplifier, or the bass itself???

I ask because I plan on upgrading both right now, and with the pricetag of the bass Im looking into (Warwick Corvette Standard Active) I think I should buy the two seperate.

My current "rig" is a Peavey Millenium 4 BXP bass, and a Randall RXB30W amplifier. The amp Im looking into buying is a Yorkville XM200T with two ten-inch drivers and a tweeter. (In the future, I will go ahead and add a 15" underneath the bad boy.)

So, which comes first??

~Ryan

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    In your case I would go for the amp. That way you have more of a chance of playing out than you do with your current amp. The Yorkville is a great amp and has DI built-in so you can use it as a stage monitor. You won't be able to hear the Randall on stage if everyone is using amps.

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I have the same problem right now. But tommorow I wont, im getting a new amp. And I would recomend you do the same. I Would buy a new amp becuase of what was said above. That even though your bass may be crappy, and I dont even know if peavy's are crappy to start with? You can still be heard on stage.

Im ugrading my bass as soon as I get 500 bucks though.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    His bass isn't crappy at all. The Millennium BXP AC is a decent bass with tonnes of punch and good tone. The AMP is just a better investment at this point and allows him, as we both have aluded to, grow more musically by opening more doors.

5. I guess I should have posted that I wont be playing onstage, as I dont enjoy playing in or with bands at all. Im currently a strictly solo player. Appreciate the input so far, me thinks Ill be purchasing the yorkie sometime soon... I guess a trip to Brevard Sound is in order ;) .

~Ryan