Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which compression pedal to buy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iggy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Maybe someone in the know can help me out. I'm looking at two compression pedals currently on the market. They are the Electro-Harmonix Black Finger and the Aphex Punch Factory. I just purchased an SWR Baby Baby Blue and want a good pedal compressor to even out my tone and to soften my harsh transient notes when I slap. I read various reviews on both units, both good and bad and need a push in the right direction. The black Finger costs $185 while the Punch Factory is going for $99. Has anybody used these before and would you recommend them?

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    I'm using Aphex Punch Factory. :hyper:

Don't know how I could jam without it before. It's so simple yet so freakin' good.. it all depends on the drive knob and how much you're boosting the highs.

Say, if you crank the Drive knob and boost the highs you get a really noticeable click/punch sound. It's great if the drummer in your band is going for a non-click sound on his kickdrum :)

That said; it's a matter of taste how much you like to compress. I'm having the drive knob at 8 (out of 10) to get a punchy tone, yet not "clicky"

Hope that made any sence at all

Edit: And yes, I strongly recommend the punch factory over the black finger :smug: mostly because it's so simple compared to other compressors.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have no experience with the Punch Factory, but many here like it.

I tried the Black Finger- I found it to be a bit noisey, as have others.

If I may add a couple of other options to the table, may I suggest the Demeter Compulator. It is a pedal version of an opto-compressor like found in many compressors associated with "warming up" the signal (UA's, Demeter's etc).

IMHO, the best compressor pedal is the Analogman Bi-CompROSSor. This has two seperate compressors in one handy box. However, if you do not need both, you can buy a version of either pedal.

4. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Just got the Demeter today and working with it. I had the EBS and it seems similar, so far. i mean i only played it for the last 3 hours. The bottom end seems to swell a bit. I cut back on the trim pot and it is alot better. Sadowsky Basses have alot of output. I do recommed the pedal. Again so far.

I will be gigging with it soon so i will know better. The EBS is a fine pedal but it wasn't what i was looking for after 2 years of use.. Funny right... I had the Analogman and sent it back and got the demeter instead. Although the Analogman was a nice pedal, it had more of an effect and was not subtle. I don't know too many bassist playing a Ross clone or orange whatever for bass unless they want an effect. I thought the EBS colored the sound just alittle but let your ears tell you better. But for the buck the DBX 160A is a nice compressor for Bass. Can get one used for alittle more than what you pay for anyone of these pedals. But its a rack unit. But if you want somthing to throw in your bag the Demeter is a fine pedal for a subtle compression yet nice and transparent. Also what i hear so far it doesn't change your tone. Its more of an LA2A that you can throw into your gig bag. At least it try's to be.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I dig the Punch Factory. It's a good sounding, affordable pedal that's built like a tank and doubles as a DI. Now, I'm usually a big fan of EHX pedals, but the Black Finger is far too noisy for my tastes. It's also quite a bit more expensive, as I remember.

Graeme

6. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC

+1 on all points. I have 3 EHX pedals and the punch factory. I really like it.

I'd also suggest doing search as this topic has been covered a lot already.

Jason