Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Compressor Pedal and Ring-Modulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hey! I'm currently putting together my FX-Board.

I ordered a Big Muff and a Small Stone (not yet received) and will buy my guitarists H&K Warp-Factor DistortionPedal.

Sofar so good... i still want a Compressor. Whioch one is good (and not too expensive).

I thought, the DOD and Digitech Pedals look nice... are they recommendable?

And about Ringmodulator... i want one... i have one on my Zoom MultiFX, but i don't like multifx anymore, so i want to buy either a single-Pedal, or the Line6 Filter-Modeller.

the good thing about the filter modeller is, it has other effects too, i dig playing with effects, but i'm not sure, if the the high price would be worth it.

Does the Line6 FM 4 work well with bass? Is it hard to use? Are there any other Ring-Mod pedals you'd recommend instead?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The Line 6 works really well with bass I didn't try it as a Ring Modulator, I'm sure it is very good as this as well, personally I think it is a great pedal really worth getting and it will quell your wierd noise GAS for ages. It does however fall into the catagory of being a Multifx since it is digital and it does more than one effect and they are saveable, but if you can live with these facts you'll have ana amazing pedal.

Tecx our resident mega pedal freak who normally favours expensive analog pedals has one of these and loves it and if he likes it well worth checking out.

Hope this helps

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I LOVE ring mod on bass, its was almost ment to be... Ring modulation was originaly invented for analog synths, and was then used a LOT on voice and piano. Since the bass has a simalar timber to a piano, it just sounds great. I have used many, and curently my Frostwave Blue Ringer is where it is at!

As far as ring mods go, there are many bass friendly ones on the market. Frostwave, Mooger, Modmax - all which are expensive...

Forget the EHX Frequency Analiser, its pure crap (unless you want to make noise). There is no ring mod on the FM4 Filter Modler, because Ring Modulation is a "modulation effect" not a filter, it is located on the MM4 Modulation Modler - and it is quite the dogs bollux.

With the MM4 you also get tremolo's, Phasers, Flangers, Panners - quite kickin!

cheers

Alex

4. Okay... the MM4 itis then, what will be my next purchase, i gues... now i only need to get a Compressor-Pedal.

5. What i want is to turn a knob, press a button and make it sound good... is that possible with this unit?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Spend some time setting it up and all you have to do is press a button and switch it onto one of your saved sounds, hopefully this will sound good :D

7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Do a quick search in Effects on "MM4" and you'll find my recipe for making the MM4's ring mod into a killer octifuzz.

=0)

It's not as easy to use as a Boss pile, er, pedal - but it's not terribly hard to use.

8. Are you sure that the ring mod is on the MM4? I listened to clips of the FM4 and one of the presets sounds just like a ring mod. *puzzled*

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well, I use an Aphex Punch Factory Compressor, and I love it! I highly reccomend one. It make slapping sound better, picking sound punchier, and fingering sound punchier. You can turn down the punch though if you're not a punch fan.

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    [​IMG]

cheers

Alex

11. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    The Problem i think with the Line 6 MM4 ring modulator is that it is static- it has no low frequency oscilation. But, if thats the sound u want, cool cool. It just doesnt do the Moogle stuff of the sweeping and all

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well... I usualy dislike LFO'd ring mod, unless its for making wierd noises... Its almost useless... I never used it when I had it, unless I was making sound effects... I just don'y find it very musical, now sample and hold ring mod - THATS another story!!!

Alex