Which Compressor setting on the Hyper Luminal should I use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nathan Miller, May 8, 2020.

1. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller

Dec 14, 2019
    I recently got the Darkglass Hyper Luminal Compressor and I love it! The compressor has three modes to it: Solid State Logic Bus compressor, Darkglasses Supersymmetry, and the famous 1176 FET Compressor. I've been playing around with the different modes and i'm having a hard time deciding which setting to go with. I seem to be liking the BUS mode, but don't want to draw any conclusions on the other two settings yet. I'm looking for something that doesn't color my tone too much if at all. Maybe some more experienced musicians can help me better understand the differences between these three modes.

I'm just here to learn!

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Whichever one sounds best ;)

gebass6 and Nathan Miller like this.
  3. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller

Dec 14, 2019
    I knew I'd get that ;)

I know what I'm hearing, but i want to hear other peoples experiences as well to validate or challenge what i am thinking.

RandalPinkFloyd and NKBassman like this.
  4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This is a very good primer..

5. Following this thread, as I have one showing up tomorrow.

Nathan Miller and NKBassman like this.
  6. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller

Dec 14, 2019
    Ok, here is whats on my mind now: What are the differences between these three compressor models?

7. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Did I go to the Effects forum and not realize it?

8. My suggestion would be to turn the compression higher than you would typically want it then cycle through all the different types and ratios. Once you find one that you prefer the voicing of then back off the compression to where it is helping keep your levels tight but isn't as noticeable.
    Personally I ended up liking a high ratio on the BUS setting.

Nathan Miller likes this.
  9. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This is gonna get ported over to the Effects forum, I'd wager.

At any rate, I've got preferences given what bass i.v I'm using. For a mellower/darker tone when applying a pronounced effect, I'm coming to really like the Super Symmetry. For more aggression, active bass tones, etc, FET at the lower ratios does me good, and Bus sweetens everything. Bus at lower ratios is probably the first stop (*ahem*) for transparent compression.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021