1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which compressor would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timmah, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I've been on the hunt for a compressor lately, and someone gave me a gift card towards a pedal so I guess now is the time. I've been looking around on the Ovnilab site, but the terminology in the reviews confuses me a bit, particularly the line between "peak limiting" and "smoothing" or other uses for the effect. The reviews suggest certain pedals for certain applications so I want to be sure I'm looking for the right things.

I play primarily aggressive fingerstyle with a little bit of slap (usually for fills and emphasis) and some pick, generally in a rock context. The biggest thing I'm looking for is to tame some peaks when I dig in and maybe to fatten/solidify the signal a little bit. Tone shaping or color is probably icing for my needs. I play a solid state head and an active bass (though sometimes a low output passive too). Am I looking for something for "smoothing" or "limiting" or something else? Thanks

2. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    My search ended with the TC Electronics Spectracomp. It's a mulit-band compressor with a lot of parameters that you can edit on your computer or with the Toneprint presets. It can sound like many types of compressors. I use a preset that is very transparent, it makes the whole range of my bass sound full and even without sounding compressed. It has other presets that can do the opposite and sound very compressed, like vintage Beatles or MoTown.

I also own a Markbass Compressore. I don't use it because whenever I set the way I like, it actually sounds better bypassed! I tried a Diamond Bass Compressor in a store once. If I had found it first I might not be using a Spectracomp. The Diamond sounds very good to me, but it is not transparent.

reggie hall and kat888 like this.
  3. What is your budget?

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Whatever your choice, I'd grab a unit with some kind of visual feedback : MXR, Empress, FEA, Smoothie.
    Also :
    Compressor Reviews
    Have a look at the FAQ. Tons of reviews too !

Philly Watts, chaak and John B jr like this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Read this, then get a Diamond.

Edit: Never mind. I see now that you're looking for some limiting. Just the same, read Compressor Reviews.

...Then get a Diamond.

kat888 likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Folks...paragraph 1, sentence 2: I've been looking around on the Ovnilab site

7. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    For peak limiting on a budget, you can't beat the Boss LMB-3. Spend a bit more and you can get the Boss BC-1X, which bongo has reviewed as being particularly good for slapping and picking styles.

seedokebass and Philly Watts like this.
  8. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    If you are new to compressors it may be to your advantage to try one that don't have a lot of knobs and a LED light to let you know its working because you might be tweaking for days and some be working and you may not can tell.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Sounds like your primarily looking for a clean limiting type compressor pedal.

I'd recommend the Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier for that. Zero coloration to your sound; provides very clean boost if you want any (there's enough gain on tap you can use it purely as a clean +30 dB boost pedal if you want to by setting Compression to 1:1); and just as polite as can be taming peaks while very gently thickening up your sound. My goto workhorse compressor.

Thing I like best about it is it "just works." And you don't need a pilot's license to figure it out. You actually have to work at it to get a bad sound out of it. It doesn't have the number of controls you'll find on some compressors - including its big brother, the Keeley Pro. But everything you need for real-world use is right there.

Cool tool. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Rickter, Basstards, Fuzzbass and 7 others like this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keeley Bassist. Done.

11. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Markbass Compressore will suit your needs fine... what's that? Why, yes! I have one for sale! What's that? Yes, I am in New England!

12. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Keeley Bassist. Amazingly simple to use, very transparent. Love mine.

Planespotter likes this.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Cali 76

14. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have had used Trace Elliot, MXR, EBS, Diamond, and FEA labs.
    The FEA optifet is never leaving my board.....ever. The Diamond was pretty cool too. The MXR was my least favorite.

kat888 likes this.
  15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    +1
    The Diamond is fffat!

kat888 and Bodeanly like this.
  16. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Being new to compressors. I bought the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass. The clean blend and the controls make it very easy to get a great sound.

17. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It's just big boned.

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, as much as I love my EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor), it doesn't sound, from your description, that it would be the right choice for you.

I don't know a lot about compressors and I haven't tried out a lot of different ones either, I just know the Black Finger gives me exactly what I want, a slightly more defined and smooth bootsed output, while adding a fair deal of punch and some undefinable overall niceness to the tone of my bass.

And while I don't agree with Bongomania's review of this particular pedal on his Ovnilab site, and therefor am sure we have far from the same taste in what a compressor should do, I am pretty convinced that his reviews by far are more qualified at guiding you to a compressor that would fill your needs than I am.

Well, guess this didn't help you much, and I might just have posted for the sake of giving myself another chance to promote my favorite pedal and get another meak go at justifying it as a great compressor pedal.

At least I know that while a compressor is a somewhat subtle effect, it does in fact do a huge difference for your overall tone, like the icing puts the dot above the i of a muffin, and makes it even more delicious for the eye as well as your taste receptors.

If you prefer chocolate, strawberry, lemon or plain vanilla icing and weather you want it just evenly applied on your muffin or richly ornamented is not up to me to decide anyway.

Good luck though.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I jumped and bought a Fairfield Accountant and then learned it was not my thing. Sold it and got the Keeley Bassist. Done.

20. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Smoothie!

From our resident compressor expert!

I've had a number of comps come and go, the Smoothie is staying.

Fuzzbass and red_rhino like this.