1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chace90, May 15, 2002.

  1. Chace90

    Chace90 Supporting Member

    Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    OK, I've been trying out a DBX 163 compressor and I really like the sounds i'm getting out of it. I've been looking on ebay for them and they're pretty cheap. I've also been looking at an ART Tube levelar. My question is: will the ART unit give me that tube warmth like an amp or will it sound basically like a solid state compressor? I haven't had a chance to try one out and I don't think I will either. I'm looking for that tube warmth but also a good compressor and I'm wondering if there's anything out there that can do both. So what's the word?
  2. Slater

    Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

    Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The ART Levelar will add some tube warmth. It won't be alot (there's only one tube), but you can tell the difference. The ART Levelar is a very good compressor/limiter for bass. I've been using mine for about 2 years and I've been very satisfied.

    If you really want "tube warmth", you should get a tube amp or preamp and let the compressor do the compressing :) .

Share This Page