Which compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Art Levelar

6 vote(s)
  2. EBS Multicomp

14 vote(s)
  3. Samson S-Com

2 vote(s)
  1. Wich one of these compressors do you think is best? (I only need one channel so the extra channel which the samson has isn't important to me)
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Actually, having two channels can be very useful. Set one up as a compressor and the other as a limiter.
  3. yeah, i know but i don't really need that although it is a nice option to have

Oh, and BTW if you vote please also state the reasons for your choice if possible
  4. A compressor pedal is a complete waste.

It NEEDS to be in the effects loop.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I don't agree with this. It depends on how you want to use it. I like to turn the compressor one and off depending on the song, the bass, and the part. Also, compressor can sound very good if put between your bass and amp. It has the strongest sound here.
  6. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Why couldn't you put a pedal in the effects loop if you wanted to?
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree with you on this one Lo-Z.I have the Digitech Bass Squeeze and it sounds great between my bass and my amp.
  8. Of course the EBS pedal can also be used in the effects loop (it has switchable input level AFAIK)
  9. Hmm, if I can get it cheap enough I might get the ART Dual Levelar (Dual channel, rackmount version of the ART levelar)
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Also, about the effects loop, you generally only want to put it here if it is a serial loop. This way the entire signal is compressed. You should also consider putting a rack compressor between the pre-amp and power amp stage. Some rack compressors are designed for line-level signals.
  11. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I recently managed to get a hold of two brand-new Trace Elliot SMX Compressor pedals. My original thought was to use one pedal before my preamp to smooth out stray hot notes and one in the effects loop of my Trace Elliot V-Type head to give me more of an "effected" compressor sound.

What I found is that the pedal before the amp had a very subtle effect that was superfluous when using the compressor in the effects loop. In the interests of simplifying my signal chain, I ended up only using the compressor in the loop. I also decided that I liked having the compressor on all the time.

Much of the reason I decided to do this experiment was from reading some guitar stuff, but I guess that the dual compressors might be more important for distortion voicing--since I always play my bass clean, one compressor seems to do the job just fine.

My next trick will be to use a Joe Meek VC1Qcs rack mount preamp/comp/eq. I also have an ART Levelar on order, but that will be primarily used for vocals, and I'm thinking about getting an ART Pro Channel as well. The ART Levelar has, to my knowledge, an op-amp input stage, whereas the Pro Channel is described by ART as having a 100% discrete input stage, so I'm interested in the difference.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    As far as pedals go, I like the Tech21 BassCompactor better than all of your choices.
  13. I'm not looking specifically for pedals

BTW did anyone here try the TC Electronics Triple C , if I pay "a bit" extra I could get one of those
  14. I now decided to buy a Yamaha GC2020 C instead, and it works great, as long as I don't use extreme settings it is close to impossible to notice that a compressor is at work (no pumping sound etc.) and that is good! It also has two channels, I use one as limiter and one as compressor.
  15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have been trying different things. Presently the Bass signal into a SansAmp BDDI> Boss bass chorus> Alesis NanoComp>> Y cord to Both channels in Mesa 400+.

I tried the chorus in the effects loop, but I'm tryin to keep long wire runs minimum.

Besides, I can't really tell much difference.

Any suggestions? Is the Alesis OK? It seems quiet and effective...But again, I don't know the differenc.
  16. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    try the Behringer "Composer Pro."

It is rackmountable, inexpensive and sounds good.

17. Ditto.