Which Compressor ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beammeup, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I just wanted to hear some of your experience with compressors.

I, myself, have become a little warm towards Alesis NanoCompressor - mounted on a 19" slide.

What Compressors do you use and have do they work and sound.

- Happy newyear.

Kind Regards
    Henrik (DK)
  2. I use an inexpensive Behringer Composer Pro.
    Many more features then the NanoCompressor.

The MDX2200 works great for bass.
  3. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Hi Donne,

Thanks for your reply.

Do the Behringer MDX2200 have any limitations ?

Could you describe your settings + expirence with it.

Kind Regards
  4. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Hi again Donne,

I've got an additional question for you, regarding the MDX2200.

Is there a Bypass function onboard and can this be controlled using a footswitch ?

Kind Regards
  5. I use a Yamaha GC2020C Compressor/Limiter and have been very happy with it since I got it for christmas

to get all the specs of the behringer you could check their website http://www.behringer.com
  6. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I use dbx 160. It's very soft and doesn't color the sound.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the Rane DC-24 Dynamic Controller. Versatile device, details at www.rane.com ... Doesn't seem to color my tone at all. I love the crossover: you can compress highs and lows separately and then recombine them to mono, or biamp by sending both to a stereo amp (I recombine). Each channel has a peak limiter and an expander (noise gate).
  8. Yes, it has bypasses for each channel on the front panel. I leave mine on. Really no need for a foot pedal.

The MDX2000 High Pass Filter is a great Bass Feature. Having both XLR and 1/4" I/O's is handy
    for using compression for other uses including PA and Mic work.

I use both channels ganged together.

Daisy Chain both halves of the Stereo Compressor by patching channel one output into channel two input.

Bass>Preamp>Channel 1 Input>Channel 1 Output>Channel 2 Input>Channel 2 Output> Amp

Set Both Channels 1 & 2 To:

Expander Gate:
    Threshold = -42.5
    Ratio = 2:1
    Expander/Gate Release = Slow

SC Filter = ON

Auto = OFF

I/O Meters set to: OUTPUT

Channel One for gentle compression to even things out, with Attack set to not allow "clicking" and Release set to avoid pumping. Together creating increased sustain without artifacts.

Channel 1:

Interactive: ON

Threshold = -6.5

Ratio = 4 to 1

Attack = 30ms

Release = 9:30

Peak Limiter = +16db or 2:00.

Output = 6db

Channel 2

Channel 2 is used to catch extreme peaks that go above +6 or +7.5 db with hard knee compression, a 6:1 ratio, very fast attack and longer release. Only the larger peaks are affected; therefore increasing headroom without squashing. This is somewhat like a limiting effect, but softer.

Interactive = OFF (must have Hard Knee here).

Threshold = +6.5

Ratio = 4 to 1

Attack = 1ms

Release = .3ms

Peak Limiter = +18db

Output = 1:30

...Or you can use one channel and share the other:

...with a DI to the PA
    ...with the drummer,
    ...with the lead vocal and duck & de-esss,
    ...with the PA main mix
  9. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Hi Donne,

Thank you for your fine and detailed information about the MDX 2000 Compressor.

I'll contact one my local dealers, for one of those soon...

Happy Newyear.

Kind Regards
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've got an FMR RNC compressor and I love it. Very transparent and quiet. Works great and is small (1/3 rackspace).

11. RNC is good. However the 1/3 rack space is rather funky and it doesn't have very many features.
    The RNC is maybe not so good for bass:

The RNC is one of those "there is no reason for not owning one" boxes, but not so much for bass. It's a very clean and transparent compressor, unbelievably so for the money, and great for tracking vocals and many instruments. It just
    isn't the kind of compressor that adds ooomph or color to bass, so some feel it's a little thin, but it's just not adding warmth. On the one bass gig I
    brought mine on it just didn't have the response characteristics i was used to.

But you may very well use it successfully, depending. It can be set for a very quick release that some have interpretted as distortion on their basses.

RNC: Snapping artifact especially when used with bass guitar or any
    >> other transient program matereal made more obvious at high compression
    >> settings. Un-natural release charicteristics. You can hear this thing
    >> even at the most mild settings.
  12. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just bought a PreSonus BlueMax compressor and am very happy with it. I used to have the Behringer Composer Pro, but Im not all that literate with all the lights and switches. The Presonus is quite and simple to use, plus it has presets that can make cool over-compressed sounds if need be. I have yet to really try this thing out in different rooms, etc, but its worked great up until now. It almost resembles the RNC in some aspects as well..