Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which concert should I see/I think I should quit writing music.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, May 25, 2004.

Which concert should I go see?

Poll closed May 31, 2004.
  1. Lollapalooza, day 1

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Phish

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Carrot and Ginsu Juicers

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Alright. To get the first one out of the way, I have a choice of concerts this summer. Lollapalooza day 1, or Phish. I really need to decide, so, I'm letting you guys and gals do it.

Second of all, I suck at songwriting. I seriously keep trying and trying, and once in a while there are a few gems that I like, but other than that, I feel like it's just a pipedream of mine. I want to keep going, but I feel like all my songs suck..

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Avoid Phish at all costs. Ugh.

And keep writing music. You will improve if you keep writing eventually.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

quit trying and just play :bassist:

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Check out Chris Robinson & New Earth Mud/Gov't Mule/Allmans/Dead/Derek Trucks/North Mississippi All-Stars/etc. You'll be treated to an excellent show in an excellent environment, surrounded by excellent people, and maybe you'll be inspired to play and write after hearing how these guys do it. On the other hand, it looks like the Cardigans will be hitting the road soon...on the other end of the spectrum! ;) :D

5. I went to a songwriting convention and one of the things I came away with was that the people who get anywhere with songwriting write mad amounts of songs. You just have to keep getting the crappy ones down on paper so they get cleared out of the way and you can get on to better ones. But for every hit a songwriter writes, there's dozens of throwaways. Don't get too attached to any one song or you'll get bogged down. Keep writing! The world needs better songs.

-M

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I would say avoid Benjamin Strange at all costs and go see Phish - last chance to see the most talented band touring.

Good luck on the writing...

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have only seen parts of the Phish: Live in Vegas DVD, but the parts I saw were pretty weak. I definitely wouldn't pay to see them.

I don't think they are the most talented either.

P.S. Who is on Lollapolluza this year? I didn't want to see anybody but Jane's Addiction on last years tour.

8. Sturgeon's Law: 90 percent of anything is crap, including your own songwriting output.

The good news is that if you play those odds, you'll write nine crap tunes, but the tenth will be comparatively incredible.

You might even be able to build on that and write another outrageous song right after that, being on a roll, and all.

Just keep going.