Which config?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CBAnaesthesia, May 19, 2007.

1. CBAnaesthesia

CBAnaesthesia

Jun 2, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I've decided I'd like to build a custom fretless (Thunderbird-style body, P-bass style ebonal neck), but I'm a little torn between which pickups I should put in it. I'd kind of like an MM + P type of setup, but I haven't seen much of this. Any particular reason this doesn't seem to be so popular? I'm also thinking about an MM + a "fat J"-style humbucker. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Probably has something to do with most players stick to standard placement and with an MM/P combo the routes overlap, you have to shift the MM closer to the bridge to make it fit. Persoanlly I place the back coils of an MM in line with a bridge J anyway but most guys can't move them around to see where they actually prefer their tone.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fat J" but if it's a standard size J pup you'll be at an advantage with it cause there are so many to choose from and they all sound different - which has a lot to do with why a J ibridge s the most common pairing with a P.

3. well i have MM5 + P5 on my yamaha BBG5a.

the MM is more bridge side and you can tell but it isnt a problem, especially when you pop both pickups on. i have the P5 with the 3 at G D A and 2 at E B bridge side. here is a pic

acidqueen2.jpg

the other problem is that the pickups do well with separate pre amps (very expensive), as the 2 types do better with different EQ settings. i have had no problems tho the seymore duncan 3 band really opens up the tone of both pickups.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021