Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which country is making the better Fenders?Mexico or Japan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Mexico

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Japan

85 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Your call..

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's not a fair comparison.

Japanese Fender models are more expensive than the mexican ones.

If the question is which one gives you better bang for the buck, that's another story...

3. Japan, without a doubt. The MIJ Fenders are pretty much on the same level as MIA Fenders IMO.

4. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    As a Proud owner of a MIJ Jazz Special My Vote is for Japan. BTW it has a Black Neck.;)

5. wow i would have never guessed :D

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Ahh you know, now that you brought that up..I didn't even know the Japanese Fenders cost more than the Mexican ones. From where I'm at, the Mexican Fenders are pretty expensive as compared to a Japanese one when I get it direct from a Japanase Website...do you know the U.S list prices for Japanese basses so the price comparison between the Mexican and Japanese would be "fair"?

7. I've seen used MIJs go on eBay for $400 and new MIMs are $380 at Musicians Friend

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    From what I have seen while shopping for Jazz basses:

New Mexican Fenders ~ $400 us
    New Japanese Fenders ~ $600 us
    New American Fenders ~ $800 us

9. MIJ are by far better instruments. I played a Squire MIJ, it kicked MAJOR @$$!

I can only imagine how the Fender MIJ's would play :)

..I voted MIJ... :p

(HD's edit - substituted "MIJ" for another term considered to be a slur...)

10. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    is there really that much of a significant difference? Seems like if they're both good basses, it'd be smarter to go with the least expensive. Besides if the sound doesn't suit you, it's probably cheaper to get a new pick-up installed. But I'm not terribly picky about my sound, I'm happy as long as it sounds like a bass.

11. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I traded a buddy of mine my old pa I bought for $200, for A Fender Mexican bass, and it sounds great one of the better sounding basses I've had! Next to my Peavey Foundation!

12. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    IMO, it’s too general a question. There are different levels of instruments made in both countries. IMO, the lower end MIMs have the edge over the lower end CIJs, some of which are very humble. The upper end (non-artist) CIJs probably just have the edge over comparable MIMs by virtue of having US pups. However, there is no CIJ equivalent for the excellent value MIM Deluxe basses, the Jazz version of which has the John Suhr pups and preamp from the old MIA Deluxe. So, when it comes down to it, you have to get specific, like with everything else.

13. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    I hate to say it but the major weakness of my favorite Musical instrument manufacturer has been quality control. Japanese manufactures have been the world leaders in QC since the late sixties. From my experience and what I have heard from others I strongly feel that due to better QC the MIJ Fenders are more consistent then their North American Cousins.

14. No contest

The necks on MIJ's are brilliant and IMHO far better than the MIM.

I would put the rider on this that the only fender I have played is...........................wait for it :eek: [hangs head in shame]:eek: a Fender MIJ telecaster.

So the above probably does not count on this thread :oops:

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I voted for the MIJ's. Also, I like the variety that is offered with the MIJ Fenders. I have no idea why they won't offer the same stuff with the MIM's.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    japan. by far.

17. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Well, since i'm mexican i'll go with the mexican fenders (plus they are cheap and sound really great);)

18. Hmmm.....
    Personally, I think the MIJ are of better quality, but IMHO I think it's more economical to get a MIM and upgrade the p'ups/hardware/etc.

I really love my modified MIM's, perhaps even more than the MIA's. (I know I'm gonna get a lot of grief from that statement.) I just have a hard time justifying the price tag on the MIA's when you can get a more affordable, quality instrument that you can personalize. I don't think I could upgrade anything on a MIA after I paid nearly a grand for it. Just my $.02.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 'bang for the buck' winner, IMHO, is the MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz.

20. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

Oh so now its a race issue! ;)