Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cover sounded BETTER than the original?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Has there ever been a cover tune that killed the original? To quote Otis Redding on "Respect": "Now I'd like to do an Aretha Franklin song. Yeah, I wrote it, but after hearing her do it, it's no longer my song."

To me, it's hard to decide if the Brothers Johnson's cover of "Strawberry Letter 23" was better than Suggie's. They both kick arse.
    Jamiroquai's cover of "Sunny" was better than Booby Hebb's, IMO.

2. hendrix's cover of all along the watch tower was just slightly better than the original.

alain caron's cover of dona lee too.

also ben harper's cover of sexual healing may not be better but definitely get honorable mention.

3. Fear Factory - Cars
    Sepultura - Orgasmatron

4. Less Than Jake's "Lavigne and Shirley"

for better or worse, I think Limp Bizkit's cover is going to be more memorable than George Michael's version.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm not sure which is the cover, cause they were out about the same time, but I like Gladys Knight & the Pips version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" a tad bit more than Marvin Gaye's version.

Also, for AT LEAST his 1st 10 albums, Luther Vandross has included at least one cover. I liked his version of "Creep" better than Stevie Wonder's and his version of "Superstar" better than Karen Carpenter's(?).

How about LEAST favorite cover....LaToya Jackson doing Prince "Private Joy"

Peace,

James

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I don't think its better than the original, but Cake's cover of I Will Survive is pretty damn good. Great bass too.

7. higher ground is more well known as a rhcp song than as a stevie wonder song. not sure which is better though.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've heard very few covers that I'd consider to be better than the original. Very very few. I prefer Rod Stewart's version of "The First Cut Is The Deepest" to Cat Stevens'.

9. I know a ton of bands have covered the Beatles' "Come Together", but the only one i like is by Marcus Miller. I dont know if I'd say its better than the original, but he did an excellent job.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Disturb's cover of "Shout" by Tears for Fears. They totally molded it to sound like one of their songs. Thought I do like both versions.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually am conflicted about Stevie vs. RHCP on Higher Ground...

I dunno if it counts, but I like the S&M versions of Metallica's One, Fuel, Hero of the Day, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Untill it Sleeps, and maaaaybe Wherever I May Roam.

And, on a recent kick, I like Apocalyptica's Unforgiven, Sad But True, and One a lot better than the originals.

And OFF the Metallica kick...

I like Wynonna's "Burning Love" better than Elvis'.

12. beatles - twist and shout
    the clash - i fought the law

13. primus' cover of scissor man by xtc. i like xtc a lot; they're a slightly-goofy 80s band. primus has covered a few of their songs (scissor man on rhinoplasty and making plans for nigel on misc. debris). i really like primus' verison of scissor man, though the orig. was sweet too.

14. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California
    I have to agree that I like the clash singing I fought the law sounds good...

rip joe

15. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I liked Lazlo Bane's cover of "Overkill" - originally done by Men at Work. (Colin sings on it, too.)

And fire away if you will, but I am hypnotized by SRV's version of Little Wing.

16. I think Nirvana's "The Man who... :rolleyes:

Actually, I liked the Commitments soundtrack that covered all of the old soul classics. I think the improved production and Andrew Strong's voice kicked the songs up to a new level. But I think the musicianship was better on some of the originals.

17. I was once in a band that did 'Die by the Sword' better than Slayer.

18. *I* think that Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love is far, far better than the orginal. Much better than the Marilyn Manson version too.

I'll second (or third?) the vote for The Clash's version of I Fought The Law.

19. Nirvana covered a lot and I think they were usually better than the originals.
    And many of the versions that were covered by Apocalyptica are also better than Metallica's originals.

20. my old metal band did "raining blood"
    nirvana's "love buzz" was a cover; sounds pretty great, too.