1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which DarkGlass Preamp should I buy today?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BinBass, Nov 26, 2017.

1. BinBass

BinBass

Nov 16, 2017
    Newbie bassist here. My bass has passive pickups (Lace Alumatone) and so I’ve Ben needing a preamp and looks as if I can snag a deal on a DarkGlass today. Only thing is, the internet at our home is out, and so I can’t really watch videos without burning through my phones data plan. Naturally, Verizon won’t be by to fix it until tomorrow afternoon after the sales are over.

Can anyone here describe the differences between the sound/features of the DarkGlass pre’s? I looked at their site, but without watching the videos, the specs seem similar. Also, if there’s something else I should look at instead, recommendations in that vein would be helpful.

As far as genres of music, although I’m a newbie bass player, I have been playing other instruments for years, and play a wide range of genres from world to rock to funk to R&B to pop, jazz, etc.,

Thanks for the help!

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Which pre's are you looking at? The B3K/B7K/B7K Ultra series tends towards a modern, bright tone with a steep narrow notch cut in the mids but a small bump in the low mids and a bigger bump in the high mids. The VMT/VMT Deluxe/VMT Ultra series has a darker but mid-forward tone. The B#K series, IMO, is still pretty versatile if you get a B7K or Ultra with the EQ. The Alpha/Omega isn't really intended to be a preamp in the same way, it's more of a heavy distortion, although it does have preamp-like features (EQ, XLR out) and some people run it fairly clean in a preamp style.

My experience is that I have owned a B7K and then replaced it with a B7K Ultra; I have not owned any of the other pedals. I'm biased but I might suggest that the B#K series is more up your alley because you are looking at a wide range of styles.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Alpha Omega is my favorite Darkglass pedal. Doug nailed it with that one.

KaizerRainMan and willsellout like this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Buy a Pike Vulcan XL instead. Cheaper and in my opinion much better sounding than the DG stuff, although a very similar flavor. The eq on the Vulcan XL is brilliant and in my opinion much more flexible than anything found on the DG offerings.

5. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    Don't buy a Pike knock off.

B7K is my go to, again, these days...favors a modern tone, especially for heavy dirt, but can do all sorts of nice things, much more than just a metal box. The vintage tends to either sound really vintage, or really dirty...less in between space. Not bad, just different.

AO is a distortion machine...less 'preamp' then the others.

MHensleyJr and willsellout like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Black Friday sales have zero impact of whether a line crew is going to head out to do repairs.

willsellout likes this.
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Verizon is pretty trash, though.

Source: I had nothing but trouble with their billing department both when and after I was a FiOS customer (during my time as a customer and in closing out my account when I moved to an area where they weren't available).

Coincidentally just this week I switched to Verizon Wireless after 17 years as a Sprint customer due to various issues. Wasn't happy about it, I hope they've changed since 2010 when I closed out that FiOS account.

willsellout likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Indeed!

I've been dealing with them for most of my professional life. They own all of the copper in NYC so getting anything done with circuits usually takes forever and is typically half assed.

willsellout likes this.
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Have you tried one though?

I have the Vulcan, the M900 amp (effectively the B7K and Vintage Ultra combined) and the Alpha Omega, so I know them pretty well. Not only is the Vulcan cheaper, but it's more versatile since it can cop a 'less scooped B7K-a-like' and a 'brighter Vintage-a-like' in the same box, with the option to blend between them. It's a solid contender, no matter how you feel about the whole Pike vs Darkglass soap opera!

Ikkir likes this.
  10. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    +1. the Pike is killer and I don't care at all about some Pike vs Darkglass garbage. The eq on the Pike is so much better than the B#K's. It's funny how slavish people can be to brands. I only have loyalty to tone, not builders. Pike rules.

Ikkir likes this.