1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which delay should I choose... choos... choo... cho... ch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MightyMiloQuinn, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Caroline Kilobyte

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Malekko Ekko LoFi 616

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. SubDecay Anamnesis

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. TC Electronic Alter Ego

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Lovepedal Echophonic Jr.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Catalinbread Belle Epoch

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Wampler Faux Tape Echo

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. EarthQuaker Devices Disaster Transport

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. VFE Blueprint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a delay in the near future. I'm really digging modulated delays right now. I like the lofi sounds more than the chorusy modulation, but it all sounds good to me. I'm not looking at multi-fx at this point, and the price cap is $200. I'm open to suggestions, but this is the list I'm working from at this point:
    Caroline Kilobyte
    Malekko Ekko Lofi 616
    SubDecay Anamnesis
    TC Electronic Alter Ego
    Lovepedal Echophonic Jr
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch
    Wampler Faux Tape Echo
    EarthQuaker Devices Disaster Transport
    VFE Blueprint

Any experiences with these? Or others I should be considering?

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I had Echo Park and Flashback (pretty much the same as alter ego) and liked them for the lo fi ability but I missed the tap tempo on Flashback so I got a TC Repeater and I love it the most. Chorus and vibrato modulation set how you like it (unlike on flashback), tone knob, great interface, level knob does NOT change your dry tone (awesome!).

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Flashback is a nice pedal with lo-fi and mod settings (separately though). Now that they released the "TonePrint" editing software, you could try creating your own lo-fi/mod delay TonePrint, if the existing downloadable toneprints don't have something you want.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    +1 on the thread title, that is all.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    +2 Just wish I knew anything about delay pedals. Perhaps I will answer shortly.

(Sorry, awful delay joke).

6. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Line 6 echo park.

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm eying the TCE Nova Repeater. After playing with tap tempo it is now a requirement for me. It will be for you once you try it yourself.

8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    +1
    Must for me on bass.

9. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Maybe the deluxe memory boy? Tap tempo, FX loop, modulation, expression pedal, quite long delay times, and real analogue so lo-fi in a good way.

10. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    Catalinbread Echorec - awesome modulated delay with unique rythmic possibilities that none of the angive can offer. Check it out!

11. I'll have to take a closer look at the Nova Repeater. Thanks!

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Marshall Echohead.

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have a Way Huge supa puss and love it. 100% analog, tap tempo, various subdivisions and trails. Great pedal, I highly recommend it!

14. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    I can't believe there is no Akai Headrush 2 on this list. That is an excellent sounding and extremely user friendly delay pedal, not to mention its also a looper and tape delay. the blinking light that shows the tempo, as well as a dedicated tap tempo button (which you can use with the pedal off, or disengaged) make it head and shoulders above most delays that you have to tap the tempo with the signal on, which is a disaster live.

wanna be a delay ninja, always on time - get the headrush.

i just happen to have 2 for sale on this very website right now $120 shipped - thats dirt cheap considering they are $200 new. also includes adapters and manuals.

15. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Malekko Ekko 616 (and all related variants) is awesome! If you like quirky repeats, the Lo-Fi is the way to go. I just got the new 616 Dark and the repeats have a nice dirty quality to them as well.
    It's hard to go wrong with any of them, really.

16. I don't use a lot of modulated delay, because I like being able to control the modulation separate from the delay, but I've heard tons of great stuff about the Disaster Transport.

17. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    Another +1 for the TCE Nova Repeater. Very versatile. Separate switch for tap tempo. Spill over if you want the repeats to continue out after switching off. The way the knobs are used to adjust takes a little getting used to.

18. Empress Vintage Modified SuperDelay – or maybe just the SuperDelay with unpainted finish.

Diamond Quantum Leap – (versatile short delay, does chorus/flange/other stuff), but a Memory Lane 2 is probably a better fit for someone needing a delay.

Solid Gold FX Electroman – love that "Warp" feature!

and maybe a Dr. Scientist Sunny Day Delay

PS: Sorry, didn't see the price cap in the OP. Still, the Quantum Leap would be worth the extra bucks and fits in with the modulated delay theme

19. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I voted for the Malekko 616 Lo-First MK-II. It's really modulated and dirty/Lo-Fi/grainy and it sounds awesome. But overall my fav modulated delay is a tie with my Roland RE-20 Space Echo and my custom MSLP delay/reverb/looper. It has tap-tempo, modulation with two way speed switch, can tap-tempo the modulation and range from off to a really sea-sick dirty warble.

20. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    honestly i think the space echo should be on this list. it is the best delay i have every used.