Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Demeter preamp is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    VTBP-201S
    HBP-1
    I realize one is hybrid and the other is tube, but which is better...the price difference doesn't really matter.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search for the HBP and you'll see lots of input from myself and others.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I guess VTBP is it for me...I'll just get an EQ if I really need it. Thx

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ok, would everyone agree that a Kern IP-777XL is better then the Demeter...I've had several reviews lead me toward this, I really want to get a good bang for my money. I'm a poor teenanger, so 600+ is alot to me.

5. Kern is out of business and Demeter is not.

"Better" is a very hard term to apply. I also think comparing the Kern and Demeter are apples and oranges.

I suggest you buy used from eBay. Pay attention to not spend more than 66% of the new-discount price. You can always resell it on eBay and recover your investment if you do not over pay. I have 126 transactions on eBay, and only 1 was outright fraud (for a $75 subwoofer).

You, like everybody else here, will trade gear until such time as you find "your sound". Buying high (new) and selling low (used) is terribly expensive.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i thought kern was just selling direct now and not acutally out of business?

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Not true.

Kern Engineering

8. I have the Kern. I am very happy with it. I didn't try the Demeter but have only heard (read) great things about them.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you want somthing simple.....the 201 is great!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

to my ears, i happen to like the Demeter better.

the Kern's killer, but it seems a little too corpulent and round. its on that supa fat vintage Fender Bassman / Alembic side of the tone tracks with a nice dose of hifiness. some may love that, but for me, that tone sorta gets in my way.

my demeter VTBP instead seems to really refine and articulate that tube tone with a clarity and richness thats just enough. also, its brite switch adds the highs without the hiss, unlike the Kern.

still, when i'm in the mood, i do go back to the Kern for that extra dallop of gorgeous richness. and a trusted friend who owns one too, told me that a nice set of brighter sounding Amperex 12AX7's do the trick perfectly for a nice addition of natural highs. stay tuned...

OT: the guys at Demeter can be a little on snobby side of the customer service including James himself (excepting Phil, of course :)), while Henry Kern himself is actually a pretty laid back guy. go figure.

btw, if i'm not mistaken, both are about the same price. you can contact Henry directly and get a fair deal with the same amount of money you might spend on a Demeter.

11. My apologies. I got that from a friend with a Kern, and did not check it out before making the comment.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    No need for any apologies. ;)

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    BassNW said they were out of business in an email...also said the Demeter is better anyways :)

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you check the link out that I posted earlier? Kern is alive and well.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    To get back to the original question my old 201 is the only one I've tried and it suits me just fine.

I have other preamps but I keep going back to this one. ;)

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here are a few quotes from a review that was done by Bass Player.

They even had this comparative statement regarding the Kern and the HBP-1.

17. I recall a conversation I had with someone who is familiar with both preamps, i.e., used both. They commented with the following:

Both the Demeter and Kern are superb. If you have a great sounding bass you'll be fine with either. However, if your bass is lacking in the low end they suggestedgoing with the Kern. I have a Sadowsky jazz bass and clearly the tonal spectrum of the instrument is wonderful.

I went with the Kern because I had a chance to play the IP-777 preamp and was very impressed.I am very happy with the live sound and the built in DI sounds terrific. I did play a Demeter at a store last year (about 2 years after I bought the Kern) and it too sounded quite fine but I was playing basses that I wasn't familiar with so I can't AB the two preamps and give a fair comparison.

18. This question is most likely obvious, but here goes anyway. I just ordered the VTBP-201S and I'm not sure about the back side. Are the two unbalanced outs for a stereo hookup or possibly to run the signal to another amp? I ask this question last week on a post simialr to mine (QSC PLX 2402 settings) and did not get a reply.

Probably cause it's so dumb.....:rolleyes:

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey biggie,

dunno bout the stereo, cause there's no "pan" knob, but it does allow you to plug in another power amp and run two power amp's and cabs at once.

20. THanks JJ
    I meant stereo as in my amp mode. Sorry that was clear as mud.....
    For me it would be stereo or Parallel mode. Would that also be a use or double trouble?