1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which DI Box for Recording?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, May 21, 2011.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Hey everybody, I'm looking for a good DI to record with. I play worship music, but also love a good dirty sound too. Alternative, Rock, and everything else is also good.

My choices are:

Aguilar Tone Hammer
    MXR M80 Bass DI
    Radial JDI Passive DI Box

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm looking for something good to put in a sandwich. My choices are:
    ham with mustard
    ham with mayo
    plain ham

3. I've been using a SansAmp RBI for a few years with great results : sound similar to my Ampeg SVT stack in a small box, possibility of adding distortion (from slight overdrive to full distortion without any low end lost), control on the mids. This would be my suggestion. I have no experience with the products you mentioned in the opening post, sorry.

4. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    :) :) :)

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

And no cheese ?!?

Kidding aside, I've used the SansAmp PBDDI and it worked well for me. I haven't tried the ones mentionned by the OP.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    SD Paranormal.

7. I've tried several DI boxes because I use them live with my band. I've tried SansAmp Paradriver, regular passive DI, a Bass Driver, and the Aguilar Tone Hammer was the one we liked best.

8. IanIan

IanIan

Dec 31, 2009
    Finland
    You might want to try the REDDI, it has a real tube in it if I'm correct. I can also recommend the markbass superbooster, It has a good DI built in, a clean volume boost and to add a little sugarcoating on top of the cake you also get the VLE and the VPF filters found on all of the Markbass amp heads. I no longer personally have any need for EQ just because of those two filters:D

here is a link to the super booster
    Markbass - Super Booster

And the great thing about it is that it costs only around 150 dollars.

link for the REDDI
    A Designs Audio - Reddi Tube Direct Box

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    radial JDI for uncolored DI
    a designs reddi for colored tube DI

10. bassix

bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    It's hard to answer based on the way you worded your question. The 3 pieces you list are each different animals.

If what you're looking for is the simply the best d.i. of the three, the JDI is the hands down winner. A passive d.i. with a great (Jensen) transformer that saturates nicely. However, if you need some sort of additional tone control or distortion, then the Aguilar might be the better choice. For my $$ I think the MXR is a distant 3rd. (Not a bad pedal,, just isn't in the same league at the other two.)

Personally, I have a Summit TD100 tube d.i. that I think is the best bass d.i. on the planet - but I'm also going to buy a JDI to have in my arsenal because having a high quality d.i. can be useful in live situations where grounding problems can become an issue.

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups