1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which DI? Reddi, avalon u5, neve rndi, radial firefly

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rodrigues, May 20, 2016.

1. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    There are a lot of threads like this one.
    But I didnt find an answer yet.

Which in in is the best for bass? Di I need an preamp before I plug into the di?
    I need one inly for stage and not for Studio.
    • Rubert Neve RNDI
    • Radial Firefly
    • A-designs Reddi
    • Avalon U5
    I havent tried one of thes di boxes. Plesse tell me your experiance.
    Thx

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Define what you mean by "best"... it's VERY subjective!
    Is best based on price, DI color, DI tone or transparency, # of connections, size of box, passive vs powered, or ??
    You'll get as many varied responses as you have products listed.
    You might more direct and effective replies if you said you planned to buy one item and ask what should prevent you from moving ahead with the purchase?

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Zbysek, Munjibunga, JEBassman and 2 others like this.
  3. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I want to finde the best tone. I sold my
    Ampeg CL + 810 because it was to big for me. I do not play the big venues anymore.
    I love tube sound, but if the neve is good as reddi, I can save a lot of money.

What do you think. Is reddi the price worth?

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I have not used the REDDI, thos some on here have.. their feedback from what I've read has been VERY POSITIVE... hopefully, some of them (eg: @Geri O ) will chime in ?

5. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I havent seen a good comparsion between reddi and firefly.
    Firelfly is also cheeper than reddi and has nice features. Any experiance?

6. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Your bass going direct to a tube DI may or may not give you anything that resembles the tone you used to get from your SVT CL rig. How did you send your bass tone to the PA system at your big gigs? Was it taken off the SVT head DI, or was it mic'd, or both?

Why not start with a $200 Ampeg SCR-DI preamp pedal direct box and see what that does for you, and then consider further sweetening that output with a tube DI? You may find that you don't really need the tube DI after all, even though the tube DIs that you list are all pretty nice pieces of gear.

7. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "Best tone" is, kind of obviously, very subjective. I have studio experience with both the Avalon and the Reddi. Live I generally use a Radial JDI. The Avalon and Reddi are very different boxes. I used both on some recent mixing sessions. The Avalon worked great for one track and I think I used the Reddi for two other tracks. I really can't say that one offers "better" tone than the other. I will say that, given the variables in live stage settings I don't think I'd fork out a grand for a D.I. but if I could get one cheap I'd be happy with either the Avalon or the Reddi. You might also want to add the Broughton P15 to your list of options.

JulienP., blindrabbit and Rodrigues like this.
  8. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Main Signal came from the SVT CL DI and somtimes we added a md421 to the cap.

Yes, I will think about that. I am a gear freak, maybe that ia the reason for a tube DI ;-)

9. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I never heard about that.
    Where are they selling thwir products? I havent found a store yet.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    i like the U5 a lot.. haven't tried the reddi. I might be inclined toward a modeller of some kind and dumping that into the Neve. I hear the Neve is very clear. A
    Radial J48 on the same role might be a sweet setup as well...

Munjibunga and Rodrigues like this.
  11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Don't know your location so not sure what's available to you.

12. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I think they're only sold direct. The guy who makes them is a TB member so you could message him for details. Thread here: B15N Tube Preamp DI Build Report

blindrabbit and 10cc like this.
  13. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Do you want a D.I. that will colour your sound or do you want something transparent (judging by the D.I.s you've listed you want something that will colour your sound but it would be helpful to know for sure)?

14. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    I bought the Neve based on some sound videos I listened to online (EDIT: Muckleroy put them up) and the desire to not spend for a REDDI and was really happy with it. I'd say it's worth trying as I found it warm and my Sadowsky and Lakland really sounded good both to my ear at the gig and the recordings I listened to after. I have not tried the others, but the Firefly was the other one I was debating. Liked what I heard and the physical profile of the Neve made it the primary choice and I won't be returning it.

Muckleroy:
    Different one:

I found the Neve to be transparent and clean, I would say kind of tubie sounding.

Zbysek and cubanz like this.
  15. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    THX for the link. I will ASK him.

blindrabbit and 10cc like this.
  16. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I will colour my sound.
    I habe two basses fender Jazz and P.
    I want it a little bit dirty, but not too much.

17. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    So more of a gritty, old school(ish) sound than a slick, modern sound?

Rodrigues likes this.
  18. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    The price oft the neve is very intressting. Also the feature that you can put the di between cap and amp is very nice

19. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Yes you nailed it. Old schoolish sound

20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I would be inclined to take the Avalon out of the equation then in favour of one of the other options.

monsterthompson likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021