Which direction to head? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As I stated in an earlier post, I am looking to put together a good sounding,portable rig. Preferably using 2- 1x12's and a small powerfull head for starters. Today I picked up a 2nd Aguilar GS 112. My earlier concerns had to do with my first impression using 1 GS112 and an old GK 400 RB. I figured I would need to get this set up down to 4 ohms to even begin to get the most out of these cabs. Now that I have tried both with this head, it is obvious this combination is average at best. Which leads me to my next step, more power. Within the next few days I am going to try, an aray of Eden's, a GK 1001, a SVT 3 and 4 pro with these speakers. Anyone have suggestions as to which others I might give a listen to? I understand Ampeg is releasing the Porta Bass 800 later this month. Possibility? I figure I need to try a variety of options in order to give the Aggies a fair assesment. If for some reason none of these floats my boat, I'll have to explore other options. (Bergantino, EA ect) Thanks for any help!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't think the Aggies will be disappointing. I could see where the amp you run them with may produce something less than desireable. Only have one GS 112 run through a QSC 1450 with the other side running a 15" Altec 421-8LF (which sounds like the Aggie only cleaner). The QSC is as transparent as I've run across. And I've heard a pair of 112s run through a different amp (don't recall but was mucho dinero) but they sounded the same.

I've had no need to jack with other amps so don't know about that. But, for what it's worth, I think you're covered on the cabs.
  3. EA makes several iAmp models ( up to 800 watts ) that should more than do the job.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I really like the G-K stuff. I have a 400RBIII, 1001RB 2-10" combo and a 2000RB. They've all been great sounding, reliable amps with plenty of power. IMHO, they're also some of the warmest sounding solid state amps I've heard.

In my current situation I'm mainly using a QSC amp & a tube preamp because the styles of music I play require a warmer, smooth sound. But on smaller gigs I still use my 1001RB combo, it's a great little amp. My rackmount setup was costly but I'm very pleased with it's sound. I'll most likely give my 2000RB to my nephew now that he's gigging regularly, I use my 400RBIII as my practice amp. It's a smart move that you're going to try out a bunch of different amps to find out what will work best for you.

If you're not satisfied after you've tested out the amps on your list, I highly recommend going with a rackmount setup, they're very flexible. If you need a different sound, buy a different preamp. But that's just my opinion.

Good Luck, A.P.
  5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Well I started my search today. Went to G-Center with one GS112 in hand. I figure if I can get a good sound at 8 ohm all the better. First plugged into a GK 1001. Brand spankin new, it did not work. It was the only one in stock so I moved on. Tried a Mesa Boogie Walkabout. I know this one is light on power, but I thought it deserved a try. Not bad at low volume, not good at high. Working too hard at 8 ohm I guess. Next tried a used SWR 750. This thing sounded great. Even low D's and C's. This one leads so far. Tues going for the Ampeg's and Eden's. Just curious, they are asking $699 for the SWR. Fair price??
  6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The pre/power route would get you power and flexibility. I'm driving my Aggies at 8 ohms into two channels on my QSC. Like any cab, the Aggies thrive on lots of clean power.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have two GS112s and am currently running a swr bass 350 with a tech21 RBI. thats only 350 at 4ohms. soon I will get a stewart 1.2 with the new tech21 RPM!!! 1200w into 4ohms!!!! for about $950 with that cool sansamp sound.

the stewart compared to the swr has more lows and smoother mids than the swr. my friend fishbulb already is using the rbi/stewart combination with his tech21 410 and loves it! he use to have the yamaha cp2000 amp.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    GK makes some really clean sounding gear. I personally like the EA better, The iAMP500 would be a great match for those cabs.
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I personally dislike the GK400 and GK800's. Haven't tried the 1001 or 2001 series so can't comment but they appear to get a lot of positive comments.

Try a different amplifier (or pre/power combo) into the two GS112's. I use an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and it kicks butt on a 4 ohm load (575W @4ohms), but is not as impressive at 8 ohms. Not bad, but has much more punch at 4 ohms.
  10. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Jerry, you said, "Which direction to head? Any ideas?"

...there's a bathroom on the right. :D