1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which dirt?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hedek, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Hedek

Hedek

Apr 9, 2015
    I'm looking for a "main dirt" that I can use both with guitar and bass through solid state amps, so not something that's meant to "push tube amps". The bass tone I'm hoping for is Billy Cox's in Machine Gun all the way to Wolstenholme's Hysteria.

In an ideal world I'd just try them myself, but it's not an option (except for the M85). I'm hoping you could share your experience if you have or considered them at some point, thanks:

sm/bs mini
    + great for guitar, 2-band EQ, supposedly goes from cleanish OD all the way to messy fuzz thanks to the Bias knob
    - no blend
    MXR M85 Bass Distortion
    + 2 clipping options, blend
    EHX Hot Wax
    + blend, dual channel, 3-band EQ
    - slightly bigger on the pedal board
    Old Blood Noise Endeavors Haunt
    + 2 clipping options, blend, great for guitar
    KDHK Abyss
    + 2 clipping options, blend
    - most expensive

I already have but would like to replace/sell 2 of:
    Barber Direct Drive
    EHX Green Russian
    Proco You Dirty Rat
    DOD Carcosa

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Dunwich Volt Thrower

3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    +1 to this suggestion.
    I’ve been missing mine something fierce.
    The Dunwich ODB is also beyond good.

4. Another vote for the Dunwich Volt Thrower. Great for both guitar and bass. @18v even better for bass

5. This... Nick is building me a Super VT with mids and a blend... should be extremely killer.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I know you didn’t ask for my opinion but while I would love a blend on a VT, the mids dial really changes the character of the pedal in a way I didn’t like. I had that bright idea when a bunch of us ordered the VT125Bs last year and even after sending my original VT and the VT125B back to Nick for calibration, they just aren’t the same pedal. The mids dial removes some transparency and high end clarity that was my favorite thing about the VT. A blend would really help things though. I use my VT with no clipping diodes 99% of the time so a blend would open up some higher gain options.

7. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    The Tech 21 GT2 is really versatile, will get you anything from clean over a slight bit of tube like breakup to full on heavy distortion with a lot of tonal variations as well, and even though it technically is designed to be used as a guitar preamp it actually works really well as a bass overdrive/distortion with as good as no low end loss.

Also Behringer makes a really cheap but surprisingly good clone of it called the GDI 21.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Andy Daventry likes this.
  8. I actually liked that the VT 125b removed some of the transparency... it sounded thicker to me. To my ears, with a blend, the mid enhanced VT has the potential to be the ultimate Rat.

9. I would suggest the Source Audio Aftershock. Its extremely versatile with a blend and you can import guitar or bass presets into the pedal or you can use their editing software and create you own presets.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  10. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I highly recommend the tru tone/ Visual sound Route 66 for bass and guitar. Here is a very short review, I didn’t go into depth on it, but I have the first generation, and the controls have only gotten more flexible since.

11. Hedek

Hedek

Apr 9, 2015
    Sounds interesting thanks for the suggestion. The V3 that's currently available is a compressor/overdrive, and I've got that covered thanks.

I'm surprised no one so far mentioned the pedals I'm considering. Should I take it they're not good choices?

12. A Boss MT-2 rocks on bass and guitar.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  13. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    If you looking for it to double well on bass and guitar check out the fuzzrocious stuff. The cat tail or demon may work well for you.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    if it's actually a tube-emulated dirt that you're actually looking for, then the ehx hot wax would be a good choice for that. it would even come close to getting you that machine gun kind of sound. another good choice if you want variety would be a source audio aftershock. I plan to get one myself.

15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Loved the features. Hated the tones. I couldn’t hang on to mine. Some folks love them though.

16. Everyone has a different taste for dirt no doubt.

Out of curiosity did you just uses the pedals standard presets or did you explore the user presets or mess with the editor software?

17. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Mostly presets but I did try editing. It just wasn’t intuitive to get what I wanted. I already had pedals I liked, so I wasn’t willing to put more effort in.

I did like the Darkglass and Fuzzface engines the best.

RadioactiveGuy4 likes this.
  18. The Darkglass is my go to engine. If I used OD more than I do now I would seriously consider getting the real thing but for now the Aftershock takes care of my needs.

19. Dr Scientist The Elements

Dr-Scientist-The-Elements-Review-Best-All-In-One-Boost-Overdrive-Distortion-Pedal-Gold-03.

So good I have three (not those pictured above).

or a Southampton 5th Gear (on my GAS list).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT3I-E1M2FAyBZnX-emzbnKnkU9JK4n1ajhbcusS2xTxuIGEPW9A.

Hedek likes this.