Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which distortion / overdrive pedal handles the lows best?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mara, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I'm not too worried about the tone of the distortion / overdrive, but I need a stompbox that can handle my ADGCF tuning.

That's all folks.

Ta,

Mara

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    It's the BOSS ODB3, the balance control allows you to keep as much of the original signal as you need, guaranteeing that you don't loose the bottom end. You can also dial in extra bass with the EQ controls but I find I don't need to use it.

3. EBS Multidrive it automatically bypasses the effect for the lows (unless you want it not to), the Sansamp Bassdriver is quite nice too

4. Ibanez TubeScreamer
    Fulltone Bassdrive
    SWR IOD
    Many of the NuMetal Guitar Distortions sound pretty good with bass, if you're going for a stronger sound. I'm searching for something with an over the top edge myself. So far I've discovered that the best guitar like distortion for bass are the ProCo Rat and EH Big Muff Pi. The ProCo Rat really works well with the bass, nice and crunchy. You can hear a really good example on TOOL's "Flood" off their Undertoe album.

5. bigfeet did you try the Boss MT2? It kept the bass frequencies pretty well, although it made them a bit muddy

6. Yes I have, my guitar player has one. I didn't like it that much compaired to the other two.

7. I've tried both the rat and big muff and they killed the lows...which is why I dont own either..the big muff is the best sounding IMO but the lack of a blend knob keeps me from buyin one..I currently own the odb3..which I will admit is not the best sounding unit out there but the blend knob works well for keeping the lows punchy.it also works well in a synth set-up(oct.-env.fil-dist.)because of the "over the top" dist.you can get from it...but I still want the muff,I may go get the boss ls2(line selector)so I have a way to blend the dist.(and my other fx) with my clean signal because I'm getting really tired of the odb3,but thats another story..

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Fulltone Bassdrive. I have one, and have no problems with keeping the lows. A great pedal that can have 2 different overdrive sounds.
    I have also owned a Boss ODB3 in the past and well....it kind of sucked and wasn't a very useful distortion (its not an overdrive) unless I wanted to do industrial music. But YMMV.

-KB

9. That is not a mainstay for industrial, it's too damn gritty and thin. I like different stages of overdrive all of which very dense sounding. I forgot to bring up the Crowther Audio P&C.

10. Wareyin

Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    Ibanez Phat-Head...lame name, but awesome range of good low end distortion for a great price.

11. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Bigfeet, about the ProCo Rat. Which is best the Rat2 or the vintage one? In a catalog they are both 64$ if my memory serves me correct.

12. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The Metal Zone turns my bass into a flamethrower. Rah!

13. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    IMO I've found that the metal zone sucked out most of my lowend, made my bass sound like a beefy guitar. The ODB3 is ok (i use one, but mostly for my bands cover of the wretched by NIN, picked rhythmic D's to emulate the synth drums) I just set the blend to just a shade above totally clean and crank the distortion/gain. Result, clean lowend with dirty mids/highs. Of course i've found the Samsamp to be good to when cranked although you can't make it scream unless you have a high output bass. I haven't played through any of the others mentioned though.

14. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That was the one sound I thought was missing from my rig. Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

IMO, the Dredgetone Angler

15. I like the Buddha Phat Bass. It is an all tube pedal with a very phat, full sound, lots of sustain and the ability to dial in as much distortion/overdrive as you wish.

16. the reverend drivetrain pedal has knobs for treble and bass, which is supposed to help a lot for preserving lows with basses.