Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which DMB cd should I get first?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jul 26, 2001.

1. I want to check out some different music which I'm not used to hearing, so I figured I should get a Dave Matthews Band cd. I'm still unsure on which cd I should get though. Right now I think I'm going to get "Under the Table and Dreaming" because Ants Marching has got to be one of the best songs ever. I just want some feedback on which cd is good or not.

I know we got some die hard DMB fans here (eric atkinson comes to mind) so I want some feedback! Thanks.

2. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I'd start with UTTAD or Crash. IMO, the newer stuff isn't as good (especially "Everyday" -- bleah!).

3. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    i think you should definitley go with before these crowded streets. that is by far my favorite cd.

4. I agree that Before These Crowded Streets is a piece of genius, but thats what I bought first. I found it to be a lot darker than the first two,and for this reason I would recommend buying Under The Table And Dreaming first. How could you not buy it with tracks like "Ants Marching", "Satellite", and "Lover Lay Down" which I think is the most beautiful song ever written.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would have to put my vote down for Under the Table and Dreaming. Some of thte best songs come off of that album, like The Best of What's Around, What Would You Say, and Jimi Thing. I don't think that Everyday is indictive of the rest of their music, so I would stay away from it, but that's just an opinion. Also, the Live at Red Rocks double is a great way to hear some of their improvisational skills. If you like Ants Marching, you have GOT to hear the live version off of Live at Red Rocks. Incredible.

6. I've got to put in a vote for Crash. I know that all around it appeals the most to myself and my friends, musicians and the "other kind".. hee hee... But there are some great tunes on that disc and all the other albums they've put out. UTTAD is awesome, and BTCS is my second favorite, but I think their live stuff is where they shine. I listened to Live at Red Rocks all the time until it was swiped from my car, but out of the live stuff I think I prefer Listener Supported. I love the atmosphere and the sound of the band with Butch Taylor on the keys, plus they played more of my favorite songs. But any album is good, even Everyday, which still blows away anything Britney has done, but that doesn't say much...

7. is that the version with Victor Wooten?

8. No, it's with Stephan Lessard, but I think Superduck was just trying to point out how great of a version they do on it. Great solos and energy through out, never mind Boyd Tinsley's solo which ends up getting more and more out of tune as he keeps playing, but damn, does he get the crowd pumped or what?

9. oh ok, I was just wondering because I found a live version of Ants Marching with Victor Wooten playing the bass duties.

10. Really!? That might be a pretty cool version to hear. Where did they play it?

11. That is an awesome version. Wooten just rips it up!! Cant for get about Bela either

12. download the lillywhite sessions.

13. I like Listener Supported. There's a bunch of good tracks on there. Although it doesn't have some of the more well-known songs; What would you say?, Ants Marching... but It'd be a good start.

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like uttad and crash best, don't think you can go wrong there. I would say uttad.

15. Well can't go wrong with any Dave song. Stefan is defently my biggest influence. I've pieced apart just about every song. Musicly our styles are similar... so I listen to how Stefan writes his lines along with Daves amazing chording styles. I hope that made sense. And I would kill to play with a drummer like Carter, im drooling just thinking about it.
    -Joe

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    The first DMB cd I bought was, at the time, the only one available...Remember Two Things.
    I then bought Recently, an EP.

IMO, Lessard's sound & tone is pretty clear AND punchy on both of those EARLY discs. It's weird that his sound gets sorta buried & lost on the major label releases.(IMO; many others have said the same thing here @TB).