Which do I choose: EA iAmp800 or EBS Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oddio, Jun 4, 2003.

Which one would you choose?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2003.
  1. EA iAmp800

16 vote(s)
  2. EBS Fafner

20 vote(s)
  1. I'm interested in opinions on either of these heads. We're going to be travelling on a heavy schedule soon and I might like to leave my all-tube heads at home this time... I am aware of the power differences which shouldn't pose a problem, and both seem capable of driving a 2-ohm load. Which would you choose? The iAmp is only a little more.
  2. Do a search for past threads and you should find a good number of mentions of the Iamp

3. Yes, I am familiar with using keyword search. I'm more interested in which of the two YOU would choose and why. Actually, there's some pretty good feedback already so "thanks" to those who took the time to vote.

PS - I limited the poll to 30 days so it wouldn't keep popping up endlessly.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Greetings, fellow Ottawan! :)

Just curious - where were you able to find a Fafner around here? Or are you ordering it from elsewhere?
  5. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    I haven't played EA yet, but Fafner is by far the best sounding amp I've tried, and looks cool to. The tube gives you nice and warm sound, but it also is funky as hell.:bassist:
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I ended up buying my Fafner, it was really because I was down to only 2 amps: Fafner and i-Amp 600. I'm gonna guess that the i-Amp 800 is more powerful (duh!) but not much else is different.

Anyway, my decision came down to the fact that I felt the Fafner is more versatile, particularly in terms of the tube warmth. I was of the opinion that the i-Amp sounded amazing, but the Fafner was a little better. Thus, my decision to buy my Fafner was made. I haven't looked back.:D
  7. Whoa... Greetings back! I have a line on a Fafner for a reasonable price. It's not local enough for me to try it before I plunk down my cash however. I had pretty much decided on the iAmp800 from ClubBass in Toronto, but bandmates are nagging me to try the EBS and I remember good reviews here.
  8. Thanks Ram! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Being primarily a "tube amp" guy, I'm leaning ever-so-slightly towards the Fafner at this point.
  9. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    There's a guy in Winnipeg who has been trying to sell a used Fafner forever. I think he has it listed for $850 now.
  10. Not any more.... :D
  11. From your profile, it looks like you're a rock player (and fusion and R&B guys generally aren't strappin' all-tube heads, the Aguilar DB359 notwithstanding). In that case, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Fafner, as the Drive knob and Character switch can get you all the tubey grind and growl you could ever want.

Hey, RAM, where do you get maintenance done on your Fafner? I need to get the Speakon jack and light bulb replaced.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

great matchup... bump for more opinions...

doesnt PeteF really dig his Fafner as well?
  13. I sure do. I tend to bump the mids +6dB at 400Hz and set the Drive on 5 for a nasty tone that's both supportive and cutting. I'd imagine that it'd be downright filthy with a J or a Ric.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

we musta posted at the same time, but guess you beat me to it. :p
  15. Peter... you've pretty much got it pegged. I'm playing mostly rock gigs these days and the studio work is on hold. The V8 is an awesome head, but my back will really appreciate the Fafner, which I suspect will match up better with my Acmes anyhow.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance and encouragment! I'll post a review when the amp arrives.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I looked around and couldn't find my receipt, and can't remember the exact name. It was something like "Windy City" or "Mid City" or even "Mid Town Musical Instrument Repair."

The only things I remember for sure is that they were great to deal with and that they're somewhere around 4000 to 4400 N. Elston, give or take a block.
  17. Midtown, that's right. The dude at Makin' Music told me that they were at Elston and...damn, forgot.
  18. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    2 heads are better than one...I've got a little buzzing in my cab that I might have them take a look at.
  19. I just bought the last iAMP800 from CB. The Fafner is now your best choice! ;)
  20. I'm glad you posted. I now know the most recent THREE guys that bought the last one. Seriously though... enjoy! I know it's a great amp.