1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which do you consider better quality of life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wilser, Apr 29, 2009.

1. high paying job with a lot of stress and financial security

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. financial insecurity with less stress and more free time

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. live off the government, they're bailing out everyone anyway

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. As an adult with a family.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

None of the above!

3. would you mind expanding on that?

4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    ur poll answers are contradictoray to themselves.. the number one stresser in peoples lives is money..

financial insecurity with less stress? that just doesnt make sense..

5. Yes, you're right, but the stress in my question is work related stress. Job pressure if you will. How do I edit the poll text to make it more clear?

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I voted for financial insecurity with less stress.
    It's true that financial insecurity can cause stress in it's own right, but I figure that at least you have more time for your family and music to define who you are as a person and what you get out of life, at least in that way you'll be happier in the long run.
    I personally know a few people living option 1, and they're miserable. Great jobs, lots of money, big mcmansions, a hummer and a beemer in the driveway but their kids have to go to a neighbors house to do something as simple as playing catch with a friend's dad because their dad is never around. Job comes first. F that, I'd rather be broke and happy. :)

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    in that case i'd take the higher pay and more work stress..

i work well under pressure and stress is a good motivator for me personally

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You don't have an option for high paying job, high work stress, low security. :D

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    If I have a family,high paying job with a lot of pressure on me.Won't be much of a difference to me.I demand unlimited supply of alcohol\cigar though.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Reasonably-paying job with job security and a good work/life balance!

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    call me jaded, but I believe that a situation like that is a rarity. It exists for sure and would be my 1st choice if it were on the poll, but the other options I believe are far more typical of the situation that most folks are facing today.

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    A job like that exists?Where can I send an application form?

:p

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I hear Pontiac is looking for someone to place cheese on cat heads, here's your big chance! :D

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think I have that, but some would disagree. I think all the elements in this are completely subjective. What is a good salary? What is a good work/life balance? etc. I think its very difficult to answer the question without some sort of objective standard by which to judge these things.

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    ^+&%+&/'!é'!+&%/&&(++''!!!é'^%/!!!!!!:spit:

:p

16. It's impossible to be objective on these subjects, but here's my subjective opinion on the ideal scenario. Right now, I only have the first.

Good salary: You can pay your bills (car, mortgage/rent, food, utilities, etc) have some left over for occasional entertainment or not so expensive "toys" and maybe family vacation once every year or two.

Good work/life balance: When you leave your job you're not trying to kill everyone that gets in your way because you're under so much pressure you can hardly take it. IE, work stays at work.

Job security: You're relatively confident your department or whole company won't go belly up within the next couple of years.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think it's more a self-reflective type question though - what would you be personally happy with given your idea of what is a good salary, work/life balance, etc. I don't think it would be very easy at all to define the terms as everyone's going to have a different opinion on it to a point.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well that was just what my poll option would have been - of course there could have been an infinite number - but the 3 given, are just totally inadequate to cover this IMO

19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I basicaly live option 1. I would prefer to have more time with my kids, but I support them well and make every function I can.

20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Well thats our poo poo wilser,you can't expect MM quality poll options.:D