1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which do you enjoy more - eating out or at home?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Out

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. In

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    At home - it's your choice of menu, you decide how it gets cooked, it's your place and when you finish eating you don't need to move anywhere!

In a restaurant - you can enjoy other people's creativity, the surroundings can be a pleasant change, you get waited on at the table, et cetera.

Which would you fancy this very evening? I ask out of interest because, like lots of others I'm sure, I enjoy both experiences and often find it difficult to choose.

I've made this a poll just for the heck of it.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Home, for many of the selection reasons above, but I also have a culinary background and have a hard time accepting the industry trends and "Look at me" attitudes of patrons and chefs alike, it's not about great food anymore, just what is trendy. The more family oriented dining establishments have developed food service menus with rarely better than institutional grade foods that just taste bad, and are usually poorly prepared. This is directly related to society accepting garbage food for the Money. For $10 and my time, I can have a 20 oz Prime strip, baked potato my way, salad, veggie, and dessert then wallow in my La-Z-Boy from overeating really great tasting food while watching Nat-Geo or ESPN...LOL

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I do prefer to eat in, and I prefer to prepare the meal myself. Time seems to be the major factor in what and where I eat these days. I work all week, stay up late gigging on the weekends.... So we tend to eat out more than what is really healthy for us. I'm not doing much today however...... Maybe I'll see about getting some lamb shanks.....

4. I'd rather eat out so I don't have to clean up the mess. I can out cook most people i know, but I tend to make a huge mess of the kitchen when I cook.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Home. My wife can cook better than most restaurants.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm single and at best a mediocre cook. I much prefer to eat out. But only do it when I'm on the road. The best option isn't even presented here, though. What about delivered carry out?
    Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Especially with paper plates to minimize clean up.

7. We have so many restaurants around here and I like variety so I think I like eating out. My wife's an excellent cook too.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I enjoy cooking at home, but rarely do I have the time to make a really good meal. However, given the choice to eat out, I'll usually opt for that.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Hmmm...drive an hour+ for a decent to great meal or whip up something as good or better for 1/5th the money? Oh wait...my wife already took care of that.:cool:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Out. We eat at the same circle of joints all the time, so we feel like we're at home anyway. When we finish eating, we get up and walk away. No mess to clean up.

Now that my wife and I have new jobs that don't require us to travel, I'm sure we'll rediscover the joy of cooking and eating at home. Entertaining as well.

-Mike

11. In.

I deliberately avoid eating out at any cost unless I'm forced into having to go to dinner with someone.

I don't like being around people.:mad:

12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Out, no dishes to wash.

13. IN.

Not because it's cheaper, but because you can get exactly what you want. Save the extra money you'd blow in an expensive place, and spend it doing something else rather than just eating.

The past few times I've eaten out with friends, the waitresses have had a bad attitude, and this isn't my imagination, as my friends have noticed it too, and it's been in several different restaurants.

I also feel that when you eat out, the less expensive restaurants seem to give you better food than the $100 per plate places.

Atmosphere?

You can keep it.

Mike: Waiter, there's a fly in my soup! :eyebrow:

Waiter: Oh, that's because our head cook used to be a tailor! :eek: :D

Mike
    P.S. Don't get me started on expensive bottles of wine! :rollno:

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I prefer to eat in, and entertain at home, so you can relax, eat good food, enjoy your company, and not feel you're holding up a table and overpaying for so-so food. Good food, to me, does not have to be fancy. That, and my Wife is an excellent, inventive cook.

15. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    In

1. College girls like college guys that can cook.
    2. Its cheaper in most cases. some of those 2 for $20 deals aren't too bad though.
    3. You can entertain as you see fit.

Did I mention the bit about college girls?

16. out....they bring it,and take it away,and can usually fake being nice.....nothing brightens up the day better than a cute waitress' "more coffee sug..."

17. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The only time I like to eat out is when I'm traveling, which is rare these days, so definitely eat in for me. My cooking skills have improved quite a bit since I got divorced, so I find joy in trying new recipes.

18. i would figure college girls to like it when you eat out.
    :ninja:

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    zing!

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    siggable. :)

I Voted IN. The wife and I both like to cook, and I barbecue all year round. And it saves mucho $$$.