Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which do you like better: sheet music, tabs, or note sheets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by scoat3, Mar 22, 2001.

1. tabs

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. sheet music

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  3. note sheets

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. scoat3

scoat3

Mar 20, 2001
    I prefer either tabs or note sheets.

note sheets have the note letters above the lyrics

you should know what tabs and sheet music are

2. im saying tab, because it's the only one i can read

3. Well, I can use all 3, although I can't read sheet music half as well as I used to.
    Of course, for my extended essay I'll probably have to get some sheet music, so I think I should refine my reading abilities again...

4. scoat3

scoat3

Mar 20, 2001
    yeah, I like tabs also (as I said) and note music is pretty easy, if you basicly know the first few notes on the bass then you can rock.

In my "band" we use note sheets and I just have to go over the song once and I got it

The one thing I don't like a bout tabs is that it is hard to get the rythem don unless you listen to the song.

Sheet music is just too confusing for bass. Even though I know the whole bass cleff I'll have to practice the song more than I like.

5. I strongly dislike note sheets, and tab's a pain to write with (making basslines) and won't get you anywhere.

So, im for sheet music!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tabs are bad, m'kay?

(Incidentally, I agree).

8. Dang! I meant to vote for sheet music and I clicked on note sheet instead. Double dang!

9. Sheet music. There's no substitute for absolute clarity.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Note Sheets" - what the %$£$% is that ? I have heard the terms "lead sheets" or "chord charts" - but never this expression!

11. Huh, huh...he said: %$£$%:)

I always knew them as chord charts as well.

Between the three I prefer either sheet music or chord charts. With sheet music you have to know how to read music and with chord charts you need to know theory and have some familiarity with the style of music your playing.

Tab is the quick fix way to get from point A to point B and, in the end, you don't really get much from it. It's like buying an audio tape of a book so you don't have to put the effort into actually reading it. ;)

12. Are you kidding? Tab's nowhere near that informative! :D

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think sheet music is the best, but tabs are easier

14. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    sheet music is best for exact song transcriptions, but chord sheets give you so much freedom, that of which i like. but for voting purposes i put sheet music.

15. We're not from Florida are we? Hmmmmmm?
    Sorry.
    Anyway, I think that anyone who wishes to think of him or herself as a musician must learn to read music. That means learn the notes kids.....

16. Err..um...uh no, but, it's just that, well, the poll thing was badly designed and... well...uh... I was confused. Recount!

17. i can read all three. it depends. if im doing something for the jazz band i use sheet music but if i hear a cool line on the radio ill look it up on tab. tab is also quicker than trying to figure out all of the notes.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Tab isn't quicker if you haven't heard the song and is completely useless if you want to get the rhythmic feel of a funk bass line, for example!

If I have heard the song then it's quicker to just transpose it yourself, as the Tab gives no rhythmic information, so you would have to keep going back to the recording for this anyway! I can imagine no situations where Tab can accurately be described as quicker.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    When you learn a song by using tabs (despite it's errors), you've learned a song.

When you learn to play with lead charts, you learn to create, and build a foundation in writing and arranging.

When you learn to play a song by sheet music, you establish a foundation to learn every song, ever written. Ever.