1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which do you prefer basses with 2 or 3 band eq's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Jul 22, 2008.

1. here is the question, if you had a bass with no seperate eq would you add a 2 band eq or a 3 band eq to it? If so why? The bass in question is an OLP MM3 AND has a ash neck and rosewood [i think] board and at the moment just has volume, volume and tone with no seperate eq. So I am looking to add the eq.

Does a 2 band generally cover any of the mid range, or, is it only bass and treble with a gap in the middle.

If yes to the last part of the above question, does the 3 band just fill the mid range gap.

It is a really basic question but I am having trouble working out the actual difference.

As ever relying on the expert knowledge of you all.

regards

Matthew

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Yes, a three band on board pre will be able to adjust the mids...how effectively depends largely on the brand/model.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    2 band active circuits don't give you a way to adjust mids. Mids are important to a bass sounding good.

Get a 3 or a 3 with sweepable mids or get an Audere 4 band circuit.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Aww screw it, get a HH MM with the 5 band!;)

5. Can't you adjust the mids in terms of how the treble and bass controls relate to the mid range? e.g. if you cut the bass AND treble then you'd have a more predominant midrange, but obviously with a lower signal.

Or do 2 band EQs have the same bandwidth but spread between 2 controls, instead of 3?

6. Ah ha this was that I was trying to ask but didn't know the words to use. Thanks for reading my mind :D

Regards

Matthew

7. Just IMO, but there are very few three band on-boards that I like. Per your comment above, three bands (like the OB-3) typically move the shelving points of the bass and treble controls 'out' a bit to make room for the mid band (making IMO the bass control too 'deep' and the treble control too 'sizzly'). Also, the mid band controls are typically narrow Q, and sound somewhat spikey when boosted, but are still too wide to provide precise mid cutting without sucking out other key freq's.

I'm a fan of two band boost only pre's like the Sadowsky pre and the Aguilar OB-1 (set around 40hz and 4K shelving). These pre's work prefectly in a bass that is voiced well and that sounds good 'flat or passive', just adding the ability to add a little more meat down low and/or a little more sparkly up top. When you combine this with a passive tone control for reduction of the upper treble when needed, and the upper mids at more extreme settings, it seems like a perfect combination to me personally.

Finally, if your bass is inherently scooped (or inherently so mid punchy that you need to roll out certain mid frequencies), I find an amplifier's more powerful EQ (at least amps with powerful EQ!) to work much better at dealing with that issue versus a fixed or even variable mid control on a bass.

IMO there.

8. Well if you were talking stingrays IMO 2 band is the only way to go.

9. i like having some control over my mids

10. Yeah it's hard to find amps with Eqs that let you adjust mids on them these days.

:ninja:

11. I'm a big fan of the 3 band with variable mids. I have a couple basses with sweepable mids, one with a 3 position frequency selector, and one with a push/pull high/low mid. Sometime next year, I was planning on ordering something with a Mike Pope 4 band.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    2!

As it's been mentioned before, the mids can be pretty critical, but I'd rather be adjusting them on the semi-parametric controls on my amp. I've had basses with three-bands before and never touched the mids, just dialed in bass or treble boost as needed.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    3 band. I like that slightly boosted mids on the bass.

14. i like a 3, but its not the end of the world to me if its a 2...

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Whatever is in my MTD > the rest

16. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    For me it depends on the instrument. My MM Sub has a two band but voiced just right and I don't miss not having the mid knob. I use mids mainly for cutting through a mix and it is naturally very mid-voiced. On my J-24, I love the active 3-band with slap switch. Just suits the instrument well and allows me to dial in all kinds of different tones. IMO, I would look at the frequency cut offs of both of the EQ styles to tell the true story.

17. Thanks for the replies they have answered my query.

Another fast solution from TB:D The font of all things bass.

Regards

Matthew

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If 2 is good, 3's better, and 4 better still, but as stated, having a sweepable mid band is tops.

19. BTW, since it's V/V/T controls, you'll need concentric (stacked knobs) if you don't want to drill any more holes. So if you add your own pre, you'll need a

Control 1: V/V
    Control 2: Mid/mid Freq
    Control 3: Bass/Treble

Or something like that.
    Sorry if that didn't relate to your question. :meh:

IMO IME YMMV etc....

20. Thanks for that, a very useful bit of information and one that I hadn't got round to thinking about at this stage.

Regards

Matthew

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021