Which do you prefer, Solo artists or bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bands with regular members.

41 vote(s)
  2. Solo artists with a regular backup band.

9 vote(s)
  3. Solo artists with a rotating roster of backup musicians.

7 vote(s)
  4. Bands of solo regular rotating carrots.

9 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Until recently, I've always enjoyed listening to bands more than solo artists because I thought that music made by a group who flesh out a song together has more character than that made by a single person with a group of backup players.

Since my last band experience, I've started working on my own music and so I'm more interested in solo artists, their individual vision and how their music comes across. Right now, I'm listening to Jeff Buckley. No opinion as of yet.

Do you guys differentiate between bands and solo artists? if so, which do you prefer and why?

By the way, I think there are three kinds of musical groups: Bands, Solo artists with regular backup musicians (Like Elvis Costello's Attractions) and Solo artists who employ a rotating roster of musicians, like Phil Collins or the guys from Steely Dan.
  2. Almost went the carrots option.

It's hard to define. I like regular bands mostly (Rush, Foos etc) but then I also like solo artists with various backing assists (Meshell, Neil Finn etc)

I guess its a matter of whatever gets my interest....

Hope that clears things up.:)
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    When it comes to jazz, duos and odd-configuration (trumpet, guitar, drums) trios do it for me.

Non-jazz, I really prefer actual bands. I dig a couple of solo artist with backing band acts lately (Remy Shand, Jack Johnson, etc.) but mostly full bands.
  4. Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane have consumed my world at the moment. That and Matisyahu.
  5. Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    As far as I'm concerned Jeff Buckey's live band consisted of regular members.
  6. depends who the artist is, say john mayer, i cant really see him without JJ johson, but i havent heard the JMT album yet so icant really comment.....crowded house i could stand tim finn joining and leaving and so on, but it just aint crowded house without paul hester:bawl: ...but when it comes to parliament, well, when you see the list of members that have come and gone....i like it all, sometimes it good to see a solo artist with a different band now and then and see how they grow musicially, if they change feels or anything or play everything exactly the same....