1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which do you prefer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jimc, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Hey, thought this might be an interesting experiment. Here's a link to my band's reverbnation page. There are 2 versions of the original song Miss Misery. I mixed and mastered both versions. There is only 1 difference between the 2 mixes.

If you have time to listen to both I'd like to hear which version you prefer and what you think the difference might be. In a couple days I'll reveal what it is (unless somebody identifies it first!).

http://www.reverbnation.com/thejeffwatsonband

I understand that the mp3 format isn't ideal for the comparison but I think there's still enough difference to be noticed.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A couple of caveats to my response: First, I'm on my phone, so doing a quick A/B is impossible, and the song's long intro makes it tough to really remember how the previous version sounded once the band had kicked in. Secondly, I'm listening on horrible JVC headphones that tend to add more low mid content than any other system I have for reference.

That said, is version 2 slightly louder than the original?

Either way, it's a nice mix. Good job.

3. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Yeah not the ideal listening environment but thanks for the compliment! It may be a little louder but I think that's because of other things that are going on (sorry to be obtuse). Hope to get some more comments from you if you can get to hear it on a better system.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Just got my studio fully treated and added some Equator D5's, so I should be able to hear things a lot better than my office headphones. Unfortunately, it'll be about 7 and a half hours before I get back to the studio.

Care to share any details about the mix? ITB or OTB? DAW used? Interface used? Outboard gear used? Mics used? Was the bass mic'd or direct? Key plugins used? All that fun stuff.

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Quick first impression, they both are nice mixes. Version 2 appears to have less ambient treatment, ie. reverb and slap echo. I don't think one is better than the other.

6. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    I've recorded and mix a number of live recordings of the band but this was my first 'real' mix if you like with overdubbed guitars, vocals etc. I started getting into recording and mixing when I got my Presonus StudioLive desk. Their StudioOne DAW was included and that gave me the bug, at 58 I'm wishing I got into this stuff decades ago!

We recorded at a local studio we also use as a rehearsal room. The desk is a Sony desk that was actually the one used to record 'The misunderstanding of Lauryn Hill' so obviously it had good preamps etc. but there was no processing of the initial takes. I imported into StudioOne which I can't say enough good things about, nearly all of the plugins were those included with S1 except I used the 140 plate emulation from UAD that I like a lot.

I won't say anymore for now as I'll give away the difference between the mixes!

7. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    No treatment to my room as yet (the wife is not fully supportive on this topic!). I'm using a pair of M-Audio BX5s with a BX10 sub and I'm reading that using a sub to mix is not that great of an idea.

I've just read some reviews of the Equators and you've got me intrigued, this thread might end up costing me some money!