Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hyrth, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hyrth

Hyrth

Jul 8, 2005
    I am looking to play the bass and was wondering what you recommend as a not too high priced(couple of hundred is alright.) good beginner bass. I prefer older rock(70's) but I like some modern rock. I know most of you are very advanced at bass playing so I would like to know. What bass do you think I should purchase?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Check out the Essex Megathread.

An Essex P or J should do you nicely from Rondo. Which one depends on your personal tastes.

3. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I second that.

Great basses, for little price. Good to get you started and wanting more.

4. IMO, coolest thing about SX (Essex) basses... They are "easily" modifiable. Later down the road, if you don't like the bridge, swap it our for a BadAss, if you don't like the tuners, throw on some Schallers, pre??? No problem, through in a J Retro(mucho denero) and pickups, hell, put in some Nordies if you can afford 'em...

They're like the 70's muscle car of basses, they teach you how to take care of a bass, and how to make one better. :D Just like my sh*t box of an 84 Monte Carlo!!

~Ryan

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd suggest a Fender MIM ("Standard") P bass, if your budget can stretch that far. If not, a SX P would suit you well.

6. I'm honestly thinking about getting an SX and upping the pups, bridge, and tuners for my next bass.

7. An Ibanez Gsr200 is a good beginner intrument, and they're relatively cheap at $200. IMO, they're more versatile than just about any other instument at that price.

8. I disagree with the Ibanez, if you want to go that route, skip the filler, and get a Peavey Millenium 4 BXP... WAY WAY WAY Better than the GSR series which, IMO is utter crap, and I mean crap.

My list is something like this...

1.) SX - less than 120
    2.) Peavey BXP Mill. - around 200
    3.) MIM Fender - close to 300

~Ryan