which do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BasStefan, May 8, 2005.

Which one is best for the money?

Poll closed May 15, 2005.
  1. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

68 vote(s)
  2. Peavey Cirrus BXP

11 vote(s)
  3. G&L Tribute L-2000

37 vote(s)
  4. Carvin B4

21 vote(s)
  5. Other

21 vote(s)
  1. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

I've been looking at a new bass for a while, and i really like these. i havent been able to try any out though, i live in a small town with a small music store, so i'd have to get it off the internet.

also, anyone have any sound clips of these?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're all completely different monsters. If you buy make sure you get them from a place with a good return policy.
  3. Like everyone will tell you here, it all depends on the sound you want. I voted for the G&L as it's the best bang for your buck out of your choices (in my opinion). However, if you're dead set on a pure jazz sound, maybe a "jazz" bass will serve you better.

IMO the G&L will give you a vast range of tones...thus giving you a large choice for performance, etc.

4. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'd get the Carvin. You can get the B4 in a variety of pickup configurations, and there is a 10-day return policy if you don't like anything about the bass. Of course, there is a 6-8 week wait while they build the bass. But, you get to pick colors, woods and other options, too, which is nice. I have a Carvin LB70 which I love and gig with all the time. I just ordered a B5. Carvins are great basses. They have great necks, super playability, and good tonal variety.

It's always tough to buy when you can't try first. The other basses you have listed are very good, as well. I have nothing negative to say about any of them.

Is there anywhere close you might be able to drive/ride to try a few basses out?
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd get the g&l just because the range of sounds available is so massive.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have the Jazz and the Cirrus BXP and they are two completely different basses. The Cirrus BXP is an excellent value and I can get a good number of different tones out of it. I voted for the Cirrus BXP because it is light and a bit more versatile. Having said that, there is a lot of satisfaction in playing a Jazz. I just love that tone.

Every bass on your list is a good choice. You may want to list some of your preferences such as neck shape, tone palette and see if you get better advice that way.

7. Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    I stubmbled on this Variax Bass from Line 6 which appears to use its modelling tech to mimic ALL the classic bass sounds at the spin of a knob!!!

Line 6 Marketing reckon "The Only Bass You Will Ever Need"!!

Never held one let alone played one so don't take this as a recommendation to get one - check out the video in the multimedia section of the site. Seems interesting but I won't be trading my baby (1991 warwick thumb 5 neck thru)

Anyone seen or tried these?
  8. I tried one Paddy, it was ok, feels nice, and has a great range of sounds, but I dunno, it just didn't do it for me.

That headstock is hideous, and totally ruins the aesthetics of the bass. Also there have been issues with build quallity apparently, but this one was ok.

If it was me, I'd just get a plain old jazz, but that's me.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I kind of think of my B4 as a beefed-up jazz. It's like a modern sounding jazz bass. Through my Nemesis combo, I can get pretty damn close to Wooten's sound on Live at the Quick, but my sound is a lot warmer. It's a mahogany body, btw.

I've heard great things about the Geddy Lee jazz. But I've always had this thing about signature series instruments, it's a mental thing for me that if I play one I'll look like just some poser. But that's totally my crazy, tweaked-out personality.

So I'd say choose between Carvin and the Lee.
  10. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

oh sorry, i play mostly classic rock.
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Clasic Rock?

GL Jazz Bass!!!!!
  12. WordShaman

Apr 26, 2005
    I thought the same thing until I picked one up and played it. One of the coolest features is its polyurethane neck. Oh, and the sig is on the back of the headstock which I like a lot better then having it in plain view.