Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which DR for Fender P?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 3, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. i've been hearing a lot about DR's lately and was just wondering what the best type is for a Fender P bass. I'd prefer one that is pretty "round" sounding, but all opinions are welcome! thanks...
    -tom

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sunbeams

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Nickel Loriders...after being played every day for about 2 months. Along with a little wedgie of foam near the bridge.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    They will sound good. For a P I would say Highbeams. Highbeams on passive basses just GROWL! Lowriders would be OK too... HB's all the way!!! Finger style, pick, pop and slap it will do it all.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    This is if you dig the flatwound Jammerson tone right?

6. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks everyone for your help!!! i greatly appreciate it. hey Ricplaya... aren't the HighBeams quite high-endy?? and do they chew up your frets and fingers like most stainless steel (ala Rotosounds)? thanks again!...
    -tom

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    At first but once they settle they rip, they have good lows too! I have never seen them chew up basses or fingers.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It's funny you should say that RicPlaya. I'm a P-bassophile and have been using flats for the past year. While I love the feel and lack of finger noise I miss the sustain and growl of rounds. Just a couple days ago I was watching my friend play his Ernie Ball strung P-bass. All growl :bassist: . I want that. I guess I'm gonna have to revert back :rolleyes: . I'm ordering a set of Hi-beams very soon :hyper: .

#1 problem with rounds=regular replacement

I am poor :(

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    #1 problem with rounds=regular replacement

I am poor :([/QUOTE]

DR's have a good lifespan compared to most strings.

10. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    so it seems that the hi-beams probably have a very good aggressive pick style tone, but do they have a good warm finger tone? i like diversity...

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    A little tweek on the tone knobs, or EQ and walla...soft and rounded or aggressive with attack.

12. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks ric playa! i'll be buying the hi-beams as soon as my current strings die. now these things don't eat through frets like rotosounds do, do they?

13. DR Red Devils (new type of strings)!

I've never been able to get growl on these with my P-bass, but with these... it's awesome!

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I never had a problem at all with eating fretboards or frets.

15. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I've tried stainless steel strings and don't like the feel (kind of like the way eating spinach makes your teeth feel, if you know what I mean :spit: ).

So, with my '76 Precision (maple neck, ash body) I sampled Nickel Lo-Riders and Sunbeams. I did a/b comparisons into my tape player and noticed that the Lo-Riders have more mid-range, while the Sunbeams were deeper and sounded better (to me) for slap style.

I've used D'Addario XLs, GHS Boomers, Ernie Ball Slinky's, Rotosounds, DR Highbeams, DR Sunbeams, DR Lo-Riders. At this point, I thought the DR Sunbeams were best.

However, I recently tried GHS Progressives on another bass and found them to be fantastic (see my other post). I just might be switching strings on my P-bass...

16. I just acquired a great P-bass from a fellow Talkbasser, and it arrived strung with DR Sunbeams. I had never tried a DR string of any variety, but these strings feel and sound great. I'll probably try a set of my favorite Ernie Ball Slinkys for comparison, but I am really liking these DRs.