Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which DR should I get?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hello all, I am back with the strings question ;)

I have a Corvette 6 with TI Powerbass 6 on right now, but I am thinking of trying a DR... The TI is nice apart from the B-string, which is a bit "unfocused" and, though much tighter than the Warwick Black, still feels a little bit loose; however the C is very durable - it took 4 months of heavy slapping/popping and still has its zing.

My problem with the TI is rather that it doesnt get that "traditional" slap/pop sound. It has a nice slap and a decent pop sound and could so far take anything I threw at it, but I want a more clear sound with more lows and highs, and less mid.

I like the tone of Marcus Miller, and the tone of Ryan Martinie is growing on me even stronger - so I guess DR would be my choice :D I just dont know which one? Hi- or Fat-Beams (aka MM sig) or Lo-Riders? So if anyone has tried all these, please help!

So, a short account of what I am looking for:
    - slapability (well ok I can slap on a lot of things, but this is to say I am looking for a good slap sound)
    - the "traditional" slap sound with lots of bass and treeble, and wih less mid
    - high tension for low action
    - durability and longevity
    - a not too rough surface

I know this would make the perfect string and Im asking too much, but please help!
    Thanks in advance

2. Try either the Marcus Millers or the LowRiders Stainless steels...I have a Warwick Dolphin and I string it with LowRiders... :bassist:

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have the Marcus Miller strings on my bass now. I really love 'em. Slap like nothign else, IMO. Not that I'm big into slap, but still, they're very nice.

Travis

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    could you tell me how they compare in tension, smoothness and the likes? My main concern would be tension - I like to have low action, you know. Real low... the only problem is that I couldnt get it so far... sometimes i dig in and I get a lot of buzz, and I dont like that, so i have to set them higher - but I hope higher tension strings will be better - or are they not?

Oh and trying a couple of strings is not easy, especially since i have a 6: you have to order each, and wait for them to ship it... and it costs a lot of money, because the only shop that carries DR is a ba$taĐ! They charge insane prices :mad:

thanks for the replies so far and keep 'em coming ;)

5. Lo-Riders! I've tried all 3 sets, and Lo-riders match your needs best. They are stiffer and have less mid-range and good bass. I don't think Hi-Beams would be a good choice for you, but maybe Fat-Beams but they are a little less stiff and have more midrange than the Lo-Riders.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice to see you again! But this time I will really go with the DRs ;)

So far we have:
    - 1 for Lo
    - 1 for MM sig
    - 1 for both :cool: that is, we have a tie!

Ok, so now it looks like it will get down to tightness/tension, because, as I hear, both slap well - and that sounds like LoRiders. And hows their feel? Someone once said that they are like chhese-graters... or at least finger-graters :eek: :D

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Do what I did, try all of them out, it's the only way you are goiing to know for sure what sounds and feels best. The biggest drawback will be that it is not cheap to try out all these sets of strings, but that's the only way you willl know.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, first I have to order them... thatw at least a month...
    Then there is what the shop charges... full retail + their profitrate... which is quite high - meanwhile the uni grants are not that high, so a set of strings is most likely to cost more than what I get in a month :eek: so thats why I am asking these questions here - to find the string that would suit me better, without having to spend a lot of money (that i could use to buy another bass or save up for a flat/house...) ;)

9. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Try ridin' low first, they're one of my favorite strings sure. Well worth the $$$.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Been to the shop to order it - we'll see (after a monthor so :eek: ) how it works out...
    Thx all

11. If it's not too late to cancel the order, why don't you order them from the net? I bet even after shipping and tax, they still will be cheaper than local prices, and you will not have to wait a whole month. Try www.stringbusters.com or www.bassguitarstrings.us - Both have excellent service. Maybe you could find out in advance at your local tax office just how much you'll have to pay in taxes.

Just a thought...

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What he said. I rate DR's which are my fav for sure as follows: 1. LR's SS 2. Hbeams's 3.See 1 and 2....I do not like the Fat Beams, that's just me tho

13. I think the Lo Riders would bring out the sound you want. They're just great when it comes to almost any sound you may want.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh forgot to say that i ordered LR, the thicker sixer. This will be just one set, if i like them, then i will wait till May when we join the EU and then... hehehe local dealers beware! Yet i still got no responses from them whether they could order it so far... if not, then the sites that Carl-Anton suggested...

15. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    what are the strings that are used when vigiers are set up. My teacher has one and they sound great. they look like they are lights