Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which DR string for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bkchang79, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I've used Erinie Ball and GHS Boomers and they didn't last that long for me. Generally I play everything and I need a good all around string for my 2 basses.

Fender Stu Hamm Urge 1- Will be my Jazz, funk, fast playing, slap and pop bass.

Fender P-bass modded to active electronics- My rock, heavy metal, punk axe.

Which cables should I go for? And where can I get them the cheapest? The cheapest place I found them was at www.juststrings.com

2. Perhaps Lo-Riders for rock and Hi-Beams for slap. They also have nickel-plated if that's what you prefer (Nickel-plated Lo-Riders and Sunbeams). Juststrings.com is where I buy my strings.

3. then what about fingerpicking and jazz?

4. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    DRs are good strings, but in my experiance the Ernie Balls last longer. DOn't expect anything miracualous from your DRs other than a good tone.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My suggestion is just about the same as bp7770's. I would try some Hi-Beams on your Stu Hamm for the Slap/Funk, and some Lo-Riders on your P-Bass for the Rock/Punk.

DR (stainless) Lo-Riders are the longest lasting strings that I have ever tried, (and they definitely lasted longer than Ernie Balls and GHS Boomers).

Also, have you shopped at local dealers for DR strings? I buy my DRs at a local music store, and they absolutely crush juststrings.com on price (and that's not even counting shipping charges)!

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    try stainless steels. I used to play Ernie ball strings, and a friend gave me a set of dean markley Blue Steels, and now i won't buy anything but them.

7. Thanks for all the replys! I think I sweat too much and my strings don't last as long as regular people cause of my thyroid problem. I tried the Blue Steel's before when they first came out in 92 in think I thought they were pretty good, just too expensive when I was a teen. Now I'm up for trying something new.

8. Just remember to wipe off your strings when you're done playing, and wash your hands before playing. That will help. If your local store has DRs for a reasonable price, by all means buy them there. My local stores, Sam Ash and Guitar Center, don't even carry Sunbeams, which I prefer on my Reverend. I usually buy more than one set of strings when I purchase from juststrings, so the price is justified.:)

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For the stuff you describe you are playing, I don't think you'll go wrong with DR Hi Beams (and no, I don't use them, but my needs are different).

There are reasons EB's are cheaper. For one, do a search for "broken" in the "Strings" sections of Talkbass. Bass Gear Review doesn't even reco them.

They're a good value if cost is your main consideration though. But they're still a "short pants" string, IMO. ;)

If your budget will allow, just experiment. Sometimes cheaper strings work better for some people.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    picking strings is a very personal thing...what we all may like you may not. sad but true the best thing to do is just buy a set try them and hope you like them, if not try a different set when you restring.

I play a very wide varity of music and pretty much use the same bass to play it all on and i either string it with slowounds or blue steels. They seem to fit my needs well at a reasonable price.

11. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    True, said it best, just gotta try everything, personally nothing has given me a better tone than my EB Slinkies.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How bored am I?
    I'm actually posting somewhere other than "Recordings", "Bassists", "Technique/Instruction"... ;)

I've been using DR Sunbeams for a long while now...fact is, the bass I use for my New Country gig has had the same set on it for about 3 years now(darn, I'll probably break one tomorrow for sayin' that). Anyway, there's still enough life in them to pull off our "Play That Funky Music" parody. ;)

I've also tried the LO-Rider SS...not for me; SS, to me, feels STICKY. I have heard other players mention that so it's not just me...this time. ;)

I'm also trying the LO-Rider NICKEL version(jury is still out on those).

Something about DR's string gauge & compression-
    I normally use .100-.080-.060-.040.
    With DRs, I feel the need to pump up the "D" & "G" to .065 & .045.
    Anyone else?

13. Well I went to my local Guitar Center and got the Lo-riders for my P bass and the Marcus for my stu hamm bass. There was no Hi lites or sunbeams. I put the lo riders on my P-bass and love the lo riders so far. I think I've been using too thin of strings around 100-95 for the E. I must say I love the thicker E! The bass was more controled in finger picking, slap, pop, etc. Thanks for your help.