Which DR strings to get for my Essex BG-205

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Trying to decide which DR's? Sunbeam, Fat's :confused: Hi Beams? Lo riders? DR users please help.
  2. Get the nickle lo riders, or the sunbeams, both good stuff
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I haven't tried their nickels, but I've tried Lo-Riders a couple of times (I've got them on my sixer now, they sound great) and liked them. The Lo-Riders did not agree, however, with my DeArmond Pilot V. They didn't sound well-defined or punchy, so I put nickels (not DR's) on the DeArmond.

So I guess either the Sunbeams or Lo-Rider Nickels are prolly a good place to start.
  4. Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    All different variants are of best quality, but all have there own characteristics. There's not much difference between the Hi's and Lo's (steels, haven't tried nickel)....except for the core. Lo's have hex cores, and feel a bit more smooth on the fingers. Hi's seem more stretchable and can sound a little punchier on some basses.

Haven't tried the Sunbeams, I have a set of Long neck taper cores that I haven't installed yet...but I can't comment on those yet.

Anyway, play with the different ones, and find a balance of characteristics you like in one of the sets. You really won't be ending up with crap strings either way.
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ordered the Fat Beams from justsrings.com. I will post a review when I get then.