1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Dremel Tool to buy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey, so I know this is like my hundredth newbie post about my first building project but I have another dumb question.

I always hear everyone talking about dremel tools and how they are the greatest investment ever but there seem to be many different. What is the best model for me to buy as a very ligt user? I would use it for the occaisional building project and cleaning frets, that sort of stuff. I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to either since this will ge very light use.

Thanks for your help. As Ali G would say, RE-SPEC...

2. I recently bought my first dremel right before going to school to learn how to build. I bought the digital dremel from stewmac. I would not suggest this model! Why? Every time I turn it on I have to push the little button to get it up to speed. It's becoming a pain. That being said... once it's at speed it works like a charm.

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Things to consider:
    • Variable speed.
    • Flexable extension shaft.
    • Extendable stand to take the weight of the motor and shaft.
    dremel.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have a Dremel 400XPR that my wife got me for Christmas. I haven't really had a chance to use it for anything wood related, but I did get to use the same model dremel for cutting some tungsten at school and it worked very well. Easy to operate, tons of different attachments/bits and plenty of power for light work.