Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which drum machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Mar 7, 2001.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i've been playing with the idea of getting a drum machine and think i have finally talked my self into it. i only want to spend about 200.00. i want something with a butt-load of drum tracks (since i don't have a drummer to play with right now) and maybe even some overlaying music that i can put a bassline to. the only ones i have been looking at are the Zoom Rhythmtrak, Alesis SR16, and the Boss DR550 mkII. i am open to any and all suggestions. what i should be looking for? any help is greatly appreciated. oh yeah, since i've never owned one, i need it to be as user-friendly as possible.

2. go with the Alesis.
    thats all i am going to say.
    just buy it.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've got the Zoom RT123, which has 2 drum tracks and a bass track. It can't handle anything aside from that, but it does have a line in jack so you could run another device with music on it and jam with that. I haven't been able to get the MIDI to work with my gear (I don't have a sequencer of any kind) but that doesn't mean that much to me. It has three modes, pattern, song, and groove play. In pattern mode you put in the drum loops, in song mode you can put them in order and change their tempo to form full songs, and in groove play you assign each pad a loop to play and you can pretend you're a DJ, unless you're really a DJ then you can act like yourself. It also has two ways to enter loops into it, one is realtime and the other is called "step recording" so you don't have to try and keep time just press buttons, I prefer realtime. I personally think the bass sounds are horrible, but they could be used musically.

I recommend it for basic stuff like I'm doing (putting down ideas for songs I write, making really bad drum loops to amuse myself, and the like), if you want to get much more complicated than that I've heard good things about the Alesis, and was led away from one of the Boss models but I can't remember which one. I think it was the Dr. Rhythm Section.