Which drummer would intimidate you the most?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JohnL, May 23, 2002.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Alternate title: Carter Beaufort is just sick!:eek:

Man, I'm listening to a Dave Matthews live cd and Carter is just killing me on some of these tunes! I used to consider myself a "former drummer", but if I were (attempting to) play bass in that band, I'd have to have him yell out the "One" each time, after he decided where he'd put it! 5/8, 6/8, and cut time, all in the first 30 seconds of the tune! Any drummers you guys would pay just to play with?
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Good drummers don't intimidate me at all, the better a drummer is, the better he/she will push me to be a better bassist.

It's the bad drummer's that worry me. :D

I agree though, Carter is bad ass on the kit.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Jack DeJohnette, Steve Gadd, Elvin Jones, Dennis Chambers.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    'Twould be my humble honor to play with the following...

Bill Stewart
    Brian Blade
    Roy Haynes
    Antonio Sanchez
    Jeff Ballard
    Paul Motian
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Bill Bruford
    Pat Mastelotto
    Bobby Caldwell
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    agreed... FEAR bad drummers!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Danny Carey
    Neil Peart
    Tim "Herb" Alexander
  8. Carter Beuaford is an totaly woicked drummer, but i dont think he would intimidate me that much. Even though he is at times a complicated drummer, i find it easy to maintain what I am playing when playing along, but just counting myself. For those who are wondering, I had 6 years of jazz drum tutoring beofre switching to bass.

The drummer that wounld intimidate me most would be Danny Carey. Mostly cos he is HUGE compared to me, (im only 6 foot), and his playing is also huge.

and also Terry Bozzio, and Dennis Chambers come in a close tie for 2nd place
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think I'd go pretty well with Dennis Chambers, I would really like to try and play with him. It will of course never happen, but I can dream. :)

My favourite drummer of them all, Terry Bozzio, is someone I could never play with. He'd simply intimidate me too much - I would have no idea what to do when he starts tearing it up. I love listening to him, but we're way too different. Well, he's different, I'm plain. :)
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Carmine Appice and/or Ginger Baker ---- whatever I tried to add would just seem pointless.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I still have a tape of Carter Beauford & Keith Horne in their '80s Fusion band called Secrets. Pretty happenin' duo...a little 'more' improv'd Funk than Beauford gets to play with DMB.

I also like a guy like Bill Stewart.
    And Billy Drummond(who I have played with; actually he played in Secrets pre-Beauford)...they're very versatile & can play anything.

Hamid Drake is probably my personal favorite; he's like some kinda combination of Tony Williams + Elvin Jones & he plays Reggae like nobody's bizness.

William Kennedy
    Billy Kilson(check him out on Dave Holland's Prime Directive)
    Mike Clark
    Cornell Rochester
    G. Calvin Wesley
    Steve Berrios
    Horacio Hernandez
    Jo Jo Mayer
    Gene Lake

A heavy hitter(IMO) out there now is Guillermo Brown...he's best known for playing with David S. Ware's 4-tet. He grooves it hard in a Free Jazz environment.

...plus many more that are I'm forgettin' about.
    Generally, I like to hear a guy that's thinking & interacting...true, one really needs to have their own s*** in a sock 'cause these guys will lose you! ;)
    I used to play with a guy that really fit that bill...things happened, the band split, & he moved away.
    Now I'm really spoiled.

Another guy kinda-similar to Beauford & Chambers is Larry Bright(like Chambers, he's outta Baltimore & a helluva nice guy).
  12. gotta be Neil Peart; ever try air-drumming to Rush? It'll make you look stupid...
  13. I would absolutely love to play with Mitch Mitchell from the JH Experience. He is the ultimate drummer as far as I'm concerned. Ginger Baker kicks ass too, but it has to be Mitch for me.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For guys who are just intimidating, Buddy Rich!

For a guy with mad skills, Dennis Chambers. I would love to play with him, but I would be in over my head.
  15. Neil Peart. I would have a lot of fun, though!

16. the drummer from Dream Theatre

an intimidating one would be Lars Ulrich, cuz of his sueing capabilities.
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
    Matt Cameron (Soundgarden)
    Terry Bozzio (he´s like an alien compared with every other drummer on earth)
  18. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Philly Joe Jones or Stewart Copeland would be fun...Dave Weckl would be no fun, too much counting and not enough "feeling".
  19. I may get bashed for this but I hate those drummers like Carter Beauford and Jose from Incubus. I think I might been able to hang with them for a few seconds but I just dont get moved by those busy ass type drummers. Just not my style. Gimme Bonzo, Clyde or JabO, even Stuart copeland before I get tortured into jamming with those others. Just me, check the sig.