1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Dunlop set should I switch to from using DR DDT 55-75-95-115?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have been using DR DDT 55-75-95-115 on a Fender American Standard P Bass, tuned to C#, or tuned one and a half step down on all string from standard. The DDT's have good tension etc but always sound dull, even when brand new. I looked into Circle K but they won't work for me since they cannot go through the body on the Fender.

I am looking to try Dunlop Heavy or Extra Heavy Drop. The Dunlop Heavy is a lower gauge than the DDT's and the Extra Heavy Drop is a higher gauge than the DDT's.

Which set would be recommended? I would think maybe the Extra Heavy Drop set, though my setup guy may need to drill slightly in the 'through the body' part, and maybe even at the nut too for the E string.

Using...
    DR DDT Heavy - 55-75-95-115

Considering...
    Dunlop Heavy - 50-70-90-110
    Dunlop Eaxtra Heavy Drop 60-80-100-120

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

IMHO, Dunlops are horrible strings! I got a free set from somewhere and put them on my 5 string. B & E dead out the box! Also uneven windings caused some fret buzzing past the 12th fret! Took them off after 1 day and put on some Slinky's! Way better! I've also used 4 strings sets in the past. Great if you like the sound of dead strings. I like some sparkle!

Try some Slinky's or DR's.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Try the Circle K's NOT strung through the body, they are the best for heavier gauges.

5. mmbongo - thanks for the heads up and I may try the Rotosounds, same gague as the DR DDT's I currently use.

mdogs - I had posted that my Fender P is through body only. I may ask my tech about changing the bridge down the line.

6. Rotosound, sounds like the ticket here! I have a set of DR Lo-Riders on right now and I'm missing the Rotos. DRs are definitely more mellow sounding.

And while Dunlops are a bit mellow as well, I think they are pretty good strings! I have some on my short scale practice bass and they are doing fine.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Woah woah woah!

No Dunlop love in this thread, but they are actually pretty nice strings and do what they do. A lot of successful players use them as their go-to string (Nathan East, Ethan Farmer, Eric Smith (of Rihanna fame), Oteil Burbridge, Jimmy Haslip, Chris Chaney, David Dyson). Especially the NICKELS.

The Dunlop NICKELS are pretty warm but achieve a nice top-end. I wouldn't recommend them if you're coming from stainless steel and want to keep that sound. They are more of a middle-of-the-road sound GREAT for pop, rock, etc. Not if you're going for a Marcus Miller sound.

The Dunlop Steels aren't my favorite steel string on the market. You could do better with DRs or D'Addarios.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Both sets will work, but the 60-120 will feel the most solid in that tuning...