1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Dunwich? Volt Thrower vs ODB vs Wizard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smeet, Apr 20, 2019.

1. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I want to get a heavy "distortion" with pitch and rhythmic definition, and the ability to sound good at low gain if possible. Versatility is nice too.

Which of these three would fill the bill best? Hard to judge from youtube videos.
    Thanks!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. jumbo_steelie

jumbo_steelie Supporting Member

I'm curious too....

3. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Haven’t tried the ODB, but I’ve had the VT 125B and still have the WF 125B. Even though the wizard is a fuzz, the combo of blend, EQ, and depth controls make it crazy versatile. I assumed it would be fuzz only, but it does low gain well. You’ll get more clipping options from a VT, but the WF wither clean blend may be the most versatile from low grit to total madness.

Having said all that, the VT with clean blend is/will be a thing. So that may be the ultimate.

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Big box Volt Thrower (not the 125b) is still one of my favorite distortions ever. Only trumped by the range knob on the Broughton Locust Star. I love it on no-clipping mode where only the Lm-308 distorts. Transparent yumminess.

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    What's different about the 125b? Worse, or just different?

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    A bit different. The mids dial changes the eq curve a bit and it loses some transparency. I prefer the big box.

Matt Dean likes this.
  7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    My Wizard Fuzz is actually currently doing a more overdrive type duty - at lower Depth and Gain it's actually got some of the same grunt as my Rumble's OD but with more crunch. I'm still contemplating sending it to Nick for a clean blend but I feel like I can find settings that negate that desire, too. Plus, if I want I can crank it up to molten and even into crackly gated territory. So that's nice.

8. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have all three of these devices. I would never make them fight each other, or force myself too choose one over the others.

Monterey Bay-ss, cataract and stefanb like this.
  9. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    I have an VT and ODB and use them together, not an either or scenario.

Fuzz I would classify outside of either of the others, it's a unique enough sound on its own.

cataract likes this.
  10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I’d go Volt Thrower... but I prefer the 125b. I think it sounds thicker with the mid.

Mosfed and cataract like this.
  11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Interesting... I actually just ordered a used Volt Thrower 125b from Reverb. And I don’t have space on my board for the big box. I like mids.

In the online demos I liked the punch I heard from the OCD. Hopefully I can get from the VT when needed.

monsterthompson likes this.
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i had a 125B volt thrower and still have the ODB, which makes it kinda obvious that i prefer the ODB.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  13. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    @dunwichamps would know best ;) I only own the Cthulhu fuzz so far but might need an Olde Dirty Bass for my baseline level of dirtbagginess. Now that my tube amp is fixed, it doesn’t break up nearly as easily :laugh:

14. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Well thanks John. Now I have to track down a 125b version of that too.

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Do you like OCD based circuits?

16. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don’t know! I’ve heard demos that I’ve liked, but it’s of course different to play it yourself. Until now I’ve always used very low gain dirt, just to warm and fatten.

17. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Some people love the grind they give.

18. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    I don't think I would be able to give you the best answer. The people in this forum have a much better grasp for what works best on bass. Also can ask on the dunwich subthread.

Mosfed likes this.
  19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Edit: I’ve gone back to the OG VT for it’s transparent goodness.

cataract likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021