Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which ear plugs do you prefer???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I currently, occasionally use foam cylinder earplugs 29db I think, but wondering how they sound compared to plugs like the ER15's or ER20's I've seen the graphs and can see that the treble is louder, but does the ER15 give you a good sense of how the band sounds with just less volume?

currently when I use plugs I feel disconnected with the band and the music. probably because with play kinds loud (maybe 100dbc), but not really loud (110dbc+) I don't have to sing, but I'd like to hear more flat response, but lower volume.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    ER20's are fine for me

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use ER15s and ER9s (since the filters are interchangeable on the molded plugs, I can choose the rate of attenuation). I love them, they're very accurate, with the exception of a very slight loss of treble.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :) Same here. I also have custom molded plugs, best investment I've made! Our rehearsal and stage volume is quite modest, so the ER9s are often enough to take the edge off the noise, so I hear the bass notes better (!) and don't feel uncomfortable. At gigs I sometimes use the ER15s - if the drummer is "inspired" that night. :p

5. Why do people use ear plugs?

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    To avoid damage to the hearing, and avoid possible life-long torment from tinnitus (persistent ringing or other noises). You only need to listen to too loud sounds once to have a permanent hearing damage.

7. Oh so I take it you only wear them when performing right?

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I use the plugs whenever there is a chance of too loud noise and I can't control it myself - at rehearsals, at gigs, going to a concert, and when riding my bike (the wind noise in the helmet can get really loud).

I had a ringing in one ear for a day from one typically silly incident once; I was fiddling with setting up the kick drum mic when the drummer suddenly felt he had to whack the snare drum (he had spotslights in his eyes so I don't think he really noticed I was crouched down in front of him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)... I think I got away that time (I tested my hearing before getting the molded plugs, and it was good) but such a noise can be all it takes to have a dip in the hearing for life.

9. You wear ear plugs to a concert?!

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Not always, but I do bring them, sometimes bands play way too loud. I have been to shows where people have left because they were starting to feel physically ill from the sound levels. How many times have you heard people complaining about ringing ears after a concert? I have heard that complaint many times. If you have such problems after a concert or gig there is a fair chance you have damaged your hearing. Maybe not much, maybe not permanently. But it's a strong warning sign.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    It is sad how few people really think or know that their hearing can be easily damaged.

if you have to shout to communicate with the person next to you, it's loud enough for plugs. if you shout to the person next to you and they don't hear you YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE concerning too much volume.

one website said "A loud human scream registers atabout 110 dB" I believe its probably closer to 115, but 115 db is as loud as a circular saw cuttin through a pine 2x4 board inside and enclosed room. I know this from experience when I was measuring dB's for fun.

the website also said "Many retrofit car stereos reach a loudness level of 150 dB - more intense than most gunfire - and may cause a measure of instant, permanent hearing loss. "

hear is a neat noise website... http://www.militaryaudiology.org/bang/cc/handouts.html

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I didn't like how foam ear plugs made me feel "disconnected" too. So I dropped the money and got the custom ER-15 plugs. They are great! Not too much attenuation but just enough.

If you are on a budget get the non-custom ER-20 musician's plugs that sell for $12. They have the same type of filters. I don't know how much noticable sound difference there will be between ER-15 and E-20 - probably not much. I wouldn't get the ER-9's if you get customs...I don't think that's enough protection for the typically loud concert.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    For band practice, gigging, and even going to concerts now I use ER-20s. They are very good at reducing the noise level but keeping a pretty flat frequency response. I must admit though, since our last drummer an guitarist left, and we replaced them, there has been no need to use them at practice - guess the previous guys were covering their lack of ability with volume! Even I don't have the bass turned up now, and it all gels nicely!

Wearing them to gigs makes some people give you a funny look - I'll take the funny look over hearing damage and tinnitus any day!

I'm also a biker, and for that I just use the 3M foam plugs - I'm less concerned about frequency response there, and just want to cut out that wind noise rushing past my lid!

When I get the dosh together, I might invest in the moulded plugs....

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Another two thumbs up for the ER-20s.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sure, especially when I see a band like Strapping Young Lad in a tiny venue, or a loud major concert like Jeff Beck, who is so loud it's crazy.

I still like those old Hearos, but I might get those custom-mades one of these days.

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    is there an official manufacturers website with detailed info on the ER15 or ER20s??? where is the best place on the net to buy them??

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Our own Michael Dimin's estore is where I(and a lot of other TB members) got mine. http://www.michaeldimin.com/estore.htm

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Once you get 'em, you'll only use your old foam ones for sleeping when your neighbors are too loud!

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Guys,
    Just wanted to let you know that I will soon have to raise my prices on the ER-20's. I wanted to let my current stock go at $10.00 before I have to raise the next batch to $12.00 per pair.

Mike